97 Chevy truck won’t start when it gets cold??

• emtbucket

When ever it gets cold my truck will not start. Seems to be fuel pressure but can’t smell any gas like it was flooding. It does’nt even fire like it wants to start. It has been starting hard and I would have to turn key on and off 4 or 5 times before I could get it to start but once it started it would run just fine. has any chevy owners out there delt with this before?? The last cold spell I plugged it in and I could get it started but no luck this time. Any input would be great. 97 5.7 vortech chevy pickup 4×4. Thanks

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Its a chevy what do you expect

is your oil change up to date, are u running a 5 weight oil? whats your miliage? the starter could be getting old. ignition switch could be bad, a lot of things could be doing this, best bet would to take it in to a place like CarX who does free estimates and can tell you whats wrong and if its a job you think you can do your self then you can save money on labor

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Sounds like that “Heartbeat” is a flat line.

May be a bad fuel pump. Has it ever been changed? It may not be providing enough pressure, especially when it gets cold.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

It sounds to me like one of 2 things:
    A coolant sensor – this is the sensor that tells the ECM (the onboard computer) ho cold it is and in turn the computer tells the injectors to make the air/fuel mixture leaner or richer. It has a 2 wire connector and is located in the intake manifold very close to the thermostat housing. To test it, while the enging is cold, unplug the electrical connector and it will simulate a cold conditon and the computer will tell the system to go full rich – if it starts up, shut it off and run to NAPA and buy a coolant sensor to the tune of $11.00. If you want to know the replacement procedure, PM me and I can walk you through it.
    2. the second thing that could cause your condition would be a decrease in guel pressure typically a fuel pump. On easy to diagnow without the proper tool.
    Kizew

91482v

Get in, open window, turn ignition on and listen for the fuel pump to whine for about 5 seconds. Try and start it. Chances are, the fuel pump is stuck and not charging the system. Also, like previously stated, disconnect coolant temp sensor and for a rich mix. Good luck and let us know what you find.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Before you do anything, cross your fingers for the coolant sensor. I wrenched for 7 years and its sounds to me like a fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator. Dont fill the tank with gas, because if its a fuel pump, the mechanic will charge you for extra time to drain the tank to replace it.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

if it is in fact a vortec engine w/ spider style inj sytem that is more than likely the problem, causing hard or long start due to engine flooding. pull off the upper plenum chamber and see hoe much gas is sitting there. its a real commmon problem and ive replaced lots of them, let me know what you find.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

the injector is what im referring to

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

Does it happen only when it is cold out or after it has been sitting a while?

I know GM had a recall a few years ago on the gaskets in the fuel pressure regulator. The gaskets would crack and air would get into the the fuel line (wouldn’t be pressurized) and the fuel from the motor and lines would drain in back into the tank. Now when you go to restart, the fuel pump would have to fill the lines back up and pressurize the system (usually takes some time while cranking) before firing.
    Hope this helps some and good luck.

Charlie

shaley
    Milford IA

If it is the fuel pump the best way I have found is to pull the box, or if looks arent an issue do like dad did on his 88 just cut a hole in the box. ( should be an access cover there anyway one of GM’s oversights ) Dads 96 GMC also had issues awhile back just died and wouldnt start ended up being either a short or a relay someplace.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Spark plugs may be fouled?

I had that happen, even tried a jump start, but it still wouldnt go. Put in some Heet and change of plugs if you dint find a problem first.

2Fishy4U

My son is a GM Mechanic and I would be happy to ask him, but he is currently at a GM school in Chicago. If you don’t get the thing resolved within the next three days or so either E Mail me at [email protected] or send me a personal note and I will see if I can be of some help.

As an aside when my son graduated from the GM training program, a company VP asked him why he choose GM. His response was he thought about going through the Toyota program, but figured he would get a lot more work with GM. The guy had no idea how to respond

Good Luck!

emtbucket

replaced fuel pressure regulator today. I will know in the morning if that was the cause. Thanks for all the input!!

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

emtbucket,…
    Let us know what it is if you find out – ASAP! My 2001 Chev 6100 V8 is doing the same thing right now. ….Has been for 2 weeks. I started treatment as if it was bad gas, then dirty injectors, then the fuel filter. I’m down to the pressure regulator myself now and was going to try that tonight. (I was told to try that next too.) If you beat me to the fix, I’d like to know. [No check engine light either, so I can’t test with computer.]
    I’d hate to have it be the fuel pump. That’s a real pain to change out on the garage floor.
    I was hunting in Canada with a buddy this past fall and he had one go out in middle of nowhere Manitoba on his Tahoe. You should see what they raked him over for in Canada for a fuel pump install!! We ended up spending 2 extra days there too.
    Splitshot

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah my buddy had his fuel pump go out on a dirtbike trip in Montana. They always seem to go out in the worst places.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Sounds like your on the right track, hope the Fuel Pressure Regulater fixes, I was going to say fule pump. I just went thru this last fall with a blazer. Barely get it started in morning, but after it warmed up, no problem… good luck.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

BUILT FORD TOUGH!!!sorry had to do it. seriously though I hope you get it figured out. If you cant, let me know working in the car business I have a few chevy connections

charlie_heiman
    Randolph, MN

Quote:

We ended up spending 2 extra days there too.

I hope the extra 2 days of hunting were productive, before recieving the bill.

LEADPLEASE

I say put a fuel pressure gauge on it. If the fuel pressure drops I would suspect a bad fuel pump module.I have replaced many of these with the same problem.
    Greg

emtbucket

Sorry it took so long. The pressure regulator seemed to take care of it as it has been starting. Still going to have fuel pressure checked. Not to bad to replace, only cost $53 as i put it in myself.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

SAME HERE!!
    ….On the road again.
    Splitshot

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.