Determining High Water Level?

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

If you saw my post yesterday, had to put down my daughter’s horse. Problem now… nobody wants to take it. Rendering companies won’t take it due to the chemicals used for euthanizing. Others who normally dispose of horse remains don’t want to because most of them have animals too (even though cows are safe, they don’t want to risk it). I am in a pinch now because the horse is laying next to a barn with a carpet over it. State law says that it needs to be buried under 3 feet of soil, but at least 5 feet above the high water level (and 10 feet above bedrock).

Does anyone know how to determine what the high water level is? any online resources that show for area? Our soil is extremely sandy. Our well goes down quite a ways (something like 100 or 200 feet). Thinking about renting a small backhoe and digging the hole myself. But want to make sure I am safe.

Thoughts?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

See if there is a phone number of the well driller on your well head. Or figure out who did the well. Call them and they should be able to tell you the answer. I drilled a well last year and all of that info was in the paper work we got from the well company.

-J.

JohnE

Hi: If your well is that deep and you have a conventional septic system that is somewhat modern and no water in the basement issues or sump pumps you should not have shallow groundwater. Make sure you bury the horse downstream (gradient) from your well. Some county land conservation/zoning offices have web sites with groundwater data but really varies and is more general. Really just dig the hole as far from a well as possible and down gradient from the well you should be good. This time of year if you do not have water running the hole you do not have high groundwater. I inspected septic systems and ran a county land management office in WI and took care of this stuff for 30 plus years so good luck and it’s not really that big of deal. Guys use to bury dead cows all time.

blackbay

Does it say ordinary high water level,(OHW)? If so, that refers to lakes, ponds, streams and rivers.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

There is a MN DNR water table observation well located east of St Francis MN near sandshore lake. The most recent water table reading was 03/06/2014 09:18, 8.90 feet BGL (below ground level). This many not be close to you but I hope it helps. If you want to know where this information is located let me know. Just did not want to bury the thread in geologist geek speak.

Derek

riverruns
    Inactive

How would the state law know what you did with it? Don’t tell and just bury it?

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

if you dont have 2 ft of water in your basement right now, you should be good to go

Art

I find it strange that rendering com. won’t take them. We’ve had to put down 3 horses over the last 6 years and they were always picked up. I guess its been a year and a half since the last one. Vet. always contacted rendering company for us and they were here within a couple hours. It cost us 125$ though. Wonder if laws have been changed?

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Thanks, all. Late last night, one of the previous owners of the horse found out what was happening and asked/offered to take him. The owner previous to the last had owned the horse for almost 10 years.. and has asked to pick him up themselves and bury him on their property. So.. we are all set.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.