Here moosey moosey

• PB2

I agree I think we all agree he should have waited it out.

I can tell unequivocally its not a very good feeling coming across a moose on a narrow trail in the middle of nowhere.
    It’s happened to me twice snowmobiling on the Gunflint Trail and your heart just stops. First time I basically just sat there luckily we were quite a ways away, didn’t really know what to do.
    So I can see someone panicking and trying to scare it off the trail like that even though it turned out to be the wrong move.
    also the moose is not going to move off the packed trail and lose control as you saw when went into the deep snow briefly.

Again I think lawnenforcement or DNR are going to see it as yes it was avoidable and mistakes were made but there is really no law broken here.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I don’t see any possibility of him being charged with anything.

That moose sure was coming after that first warning shot.

40 cal?

The first warning shot hit the moose when it was broadside, you can see the reaction to the impact. He had to reason to shoot it the first time, it was done charging. At that point he should have left the scene, instead he pulled his weapon and shot it where it stood.

Had no idea it was in Wyoming, they are super strict about their moose herd out there. They wont let this one slide past without a thorough investigation, I’m sure.

PB2

It appears that was a Glock 9 millimeter.

I’m not sure where or how he was going to retreat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It clearly looks to me that that moose was 1/2 to 3/4s of the way turned around and coming back for another round when he fired the 1st shot. At that point the only other solution other than what he did was to wait and see if the moose was going to stomp a mud hole through him or not. Not a chance I would wait to find out. Dead moose and we can sort it out over moose burgers.

Still the biggest error I see is this guy moving closer to the moose thinking he can shoosh it along. But then again there is nothing saying that even where he stopped the 1st time that the moose might not of done the same thing.

Guess its hard to get that choked up over a dead moose. They die all the time. There is even hunting season on them I hear in some areas. This guy might just had saved that moose the terrible fate of walking down the trail into a pack of wolves or a nice long winter of freezing and starving to death. Guess life in the woods does not always end like a Disney movie.

For those relating that moose to a person, you need to get your head straight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PB just because ONE moose didn’t like snowmobiles you can’t take a large Android and paint them all the same.

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Guess its hard to get that choked up over a dead moose. They die all the time.

F*ck it then, people die from random disease and accidents all the time too. Whenever someone gets in my way next time, I will start blasting them in the face with a round of shells and blow it off as “well Jim Bob would have died eventually…derp…dee…derp”

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Quote:

Quote:

It appears that was a Glock 9 millimeter.

I’m not sure where or how he was going to retreat.

Look at that, another calf rising to a challenge another case of people disrespecting wild life. I see a trend here.

I also see 2 topics in this thread with a disconnect between them. Can anyone see the topics and the disconnect without getting all defensive.
    Ok How to effectively pass a moose on a snowmobile trail demonstrated

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/moose-does-not-snowmobiles

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Quote:

F*ck it then, people die from random disease and accidents all the time too. Whenever someone gets in my way next time, I will start blasting them in the face with a round of shells and blow it off as “well Jim Bob would have died eventually…derp…dee…derp”

Well if Jim Bob is coming at you with intent to stomp a mud hole through you then you might want to think about putting him down. Or wait and see what happens.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Jim Bob is known to be an ornery SOB. Smart people don’t go running up on him and clapping in his face.

You’re right. We shouldn’t be personifying a creature that is unpredictable, can weigh over 1,000 and is well known to attack when threatened.

Bottom line for me is he put himself in the position and acted hastily and rash (the approach more so than the shooting). I have no pity for him or anything that he has coming to him as a result. And I do hope there are consequences, because I think some people need the reminder that you are responsible for your actions and that you need to respect nature.

Just watched the video again. The moose’s first charge was a warning shot. As soon as it turns to go back down the path he fires up the snow mobile and moves toward it again. The guy is constantly provoking him and is an idiot.

desperado

Quote:

besides, somebody’s gotta feed the wolves

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.