Here moosey moosey

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…how do you know this?

I think we can pretty much assume by his irresponsible actions that he didn’t. I am sure Quickdraw would have filmed it had he did.

Harms way? The moose was on it’s side with half a dozen rounds in its head. I think he put himself and Baba Looey in more danger driving past an animal just downed.

Not to mention is was HE who put HIMSELF in harms way.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Hey man, he was in a hurry to get to the NEXT bar and that darn moose was keeping him from his next captn/coke…Dead wrong what he did. Dead wrong…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

More info:

(From the video) A man, age 51 with a life threatening heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy), while snowmobiling out west with his son, comes upon a moose in the wild. Concerned that an animal attack might be about to happen, the site seeing experience goes bad when the moose, not wanting to be on camera, decides to charge. Coming over the snowmobile, the 1,000 pound bull attacks, kicking the Dad in the chest; the moose’s intentions were clear. This was one angry animal attack. With only a hand gun to defend himself and his son, the Father fires a warning shot only to quickly fire 4 more to defer a 2nd attack…when animals attack.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The moose in the video link in this post was an infant. Not 1000 lbs.

I had a true bull block my path once. I turned around and everybody lived.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

More info:

Link? Reference?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Wow, some people here are pretty quick to judge. It had already attacked his sled once and was turning around to come back again, I can’t say I wouldn’t have done the same thing. Pretty easy to say he/she was wrong sitting at your computer.

I agree. Thats a big critter and it attacked him once all ready. Looked to me like he was trying to scare it off before it came at him the 1st time. Being that the entire video was 14 seconds long dont think there was a lot of time for warning shots or coming up with escape plans. Bet that guy was very happy to be packing that day. Imagine if that was your wife or kid on the sled behind you.

Do hope the moose was put down quickly.

BBKK
    IA

The warning shot hit the moose, you can see that in the video. The moose was facing away from him when he fired, then turned and charged (I would too!). He instigated the entire encounter by driving up on it and yelling. It seemed to me, that after the moose attacked, the guy got pissed off and taught it a lesson by shooting it while it stood there.

I hope the DNR has a hold of the video and is investigating it.

If an animal is in the path, you don’t drive up at it and yell to get its attention.. you backtrack and go around it. The whole thing could have been avoided, and was instigated by the human… not the animal. IMO the guy should be in jail for cruelty to animals and felony poaching of an out of season species.

If you drive downtown yelling the N word as loud as you can and someone attacks you, you cannot play the self defense card. He instigated it, not self defense when the animal reacts to someone threatening it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

It sure looked to me like the moose was sideways in the trail and looking like it was coming back for round two when the 1st shot was fired.

Entire thing could of been avoided? Would have to agree with that. Bad choice driving up on a animal like that. Real bad choice seemed to be after he stopped the 1st time deciding to move in close to see if he could scare it away.

Interesting to see his shadow in the lower right corner. You can see when he goes in his suit for the gun.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So can you tell what he was shooting. Looked a little small for putting down moose. Pretty sure I wouldn’t be sticking around to see what was going on unless more shells where real handy or I thought for sure that critter was done. Shooting that thing in the head with a small caliber might of only done a real good job of ringing its bell. You would think 5 shots he would of hit something to kill it but never know. My guess is there is a reason guys dont hunt moose with pistols.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Mike….I’m throwing the BS card! That guy was dead WRONG!!! Why would you drive closer to it? That moose was standing on the trail at the beginnn=ing of the video…Was not coming towards him…Instead of waiting…He drove closer…The moose then mobved and took a defensive posture…He drove closer again…Then the moose came at him….That guy is an [censored] and should have the book thrown at him!!! Yes…..It charged him…That guy should have some serious violations pitted against him!

Besox

That was completely on the sledder. You can even see a trail he could have taken to the left when he first stops. He provoked the animal and killed because he was an idiot. How you can see it any different is embarassing.

troutbum
    St. Paul

I found a pic of the sledneck

TripleA
    Blaine

He made a BAD decision to continue down the trail when he saw the moose from a good distance away. Bad Bad decision. BUT once the moose attacked him his life was in danger, he could easily of been killed by the moose PERIOD…. He should have finished it off to prevent it from suffering but when your that scared after an attack your not thinking about anything but your own safety. He should have stayed back and waited but other than that what could he have done!?

TripleA
    Blaine

if that’s actually true then he is just a piece of [censored].

TripleA
    Blaine

This is a wild animal not an African American…. apples to oranges.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Link, Reference<<

Pot stirring. I know where your cabin is at Evert’s. And I am not afraid to grab snakes and relocate them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I saw the video the other day.

What I saw was a guy standing up on his sled (by looking at the shadow) on a narrow trail that depending on the type of snow could have been waist deep. Certainly to narrow to turn his sled around on.

He thought by moving closer the moose would move along, but obviously didn’t.

After the attack and shooting, he wanted to get away from it and road a safe distance past it.

From that point a person would have to assume he either did or didn’t go back to dispatch it…if it wasn’t already.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You are quite the mind reader BK. What happened to the story about him having a heart condition and needing to get to town because he was dying when Bullwinkle got in his way?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

This is a wild animal not an African American…. apples to oranges.

That was not the point of my example. I used the African American analogy as saying that word is the most hateful and hurtful thing anyone could ever say.. and would almost always initiate a response. You can insert any race and any derogatory term, I just chose the worse I could think of.

Moral is, if you initiate a confrontation then it is on you… no matter what happens.

Yeah, the moose attacked him and he had to shoot it. I would have shot it too (but on the first charge), I think most of us would have. But the difference is, I would have never been in that situation as I would have stopped and went around it when I first saw it. Or turned around and went back.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I just can’t see trying to make a logical argument in his support. What idiot does something like that, sees the video, and then says “This is so cool I have to put it on the internet so everyone can see how awesome I am”.

I get there was most likely some panic, and fear the moose was coming back to give him another Sebastion Janikowski imitation, but ……….. WHY PUT IT ON THE INTERNET?

The snowmobiler initiated the confrontation through bad decisions. Plain and simple. He’s an idiot on multiple levels.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

He’s an idiot on multiple levels.

That is at a minimum, a gross under-statement Idiot hardly begins to describe that person or the atrocity done

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

It is a good reason for me not to C&C or wear a camera on my head. I disagree with 95% of the replies that want to hang the guy by his nuts. I can understand how this might have gone down. I would guess the guy wishes the stupid moose would have taken off when he initially moved forward. The snow looked very deep and many sleds (including mine) would not have a chance to go off trail. Just because 1 old track goes off trail doesn’t mean all sleds can take the same path without having issues. Was the guys wife behind him? One of his kids?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Without spending more time watching the video, that’s what I was getting at Bzz.

With a heart condition, trying to turn a sled around is not an option. Hell, I don’t have a heart condition and wouldn’t have tried to turn it around on that trail.

The one thing I do know is that none of us where there to know all of the situation. Judge as you will. I’m off to find some guy shooting a charging hog with a chair and a sign that say “#25” in front of him.

desperado

Karma has its way … keep watch for this guy on “Best of Darwins”

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

Oh how the righteous are so quick to judge

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Oh how the righteous are so quick to judge

This has nothing to do with being righteous. It has everything to do with ethical. If you went into your neighbors yard with some drunk cronies and had a big bash only to have that neighbor tell you to leave, does that give you the right to shoot him? Remember who is where in this. That moose was not out of his element. The snowmobile and its operator were. The video clearly showed how he was provoking the moose. If you pay attention to the droppings in the path, the moose was walking away from them. Leave the damn moose alone, clean the gun, shoot your companion, but if the moose was left alone it would have wandered off ahead of these pieces of trash.

PB2

I don’t see any possibility of him being charged with anything.

That moose sure was coming after that first warning shot.

40 cal?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t see any possibility of him being charged with anything.

That moose sure was coming after that first warning shot.

40 cal?

The guy must be a moron because clearly any noise he was making was provoking the moose.

To me it seemed like the moose was in his way and he had no time for that.

Like I said previously, had he kept his distance where he originally stopped and was attacked, I’d feel differently.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I fail to see what a guys heart condition has to do with the story, but on a lot of videos, this is the first thing mentioned. If you have a heart condition, you might not want to be snowmobiling.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.