Humane Society Volunteers

• moxie
    Sioux City,IA

With my new STEADY work schedule with 4 days off at a time I’m thinking of volunteering at the local Humane Society.
    They haven’t emailed me back yet with what they need help with.
    Any feedback if you are a volunteer or have done so.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good for you!

I could never do that. My house would be filled with dawgs!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I volunteer for RAGOM ( Retrieve A Golden Of Minnesota ), I do home visits on new applicants to help them go to a good home.
    It is very rewarding helping out these Goldens find a good home.
    Good luck and thanks for helping out!

blufloyd

Hope you do not have to gas kittens, even though that would be a job I could do. I didn’t say that out loud.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

My Wife and I have been volunteers at our local Headwaters Animal Shelter in Park Rapids for over 12 years now. Its always a struggle with a volunteer organization but it is also very rewarding. My Wife has also been on the board of directors for the shelter now for over 9 years. The best advise would be to call the shelter and talk with the manager or the board and go to a monthly meeting to start. Our shelter is a “no kill for cage space” shelter which was very important for us. We do have two shelter cats of our own now and as BK said its amazing we don’t have 25 cats and 25 dogs:) We have fostered quite a few cats over the years until they were back to good health and then they went back to the shelter and were adopted out.

Over all a very very good experience and we are still very active with the shelter as we speak.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I have a rescued dog setting on my lap at this very moment. I got here from a site down by Des Moine.
    I saw her online, asked them if they would save her for me, they asked “How long”. I said we will be leaving to get her in 5 minutes.
    When we met her, she jumped on my lap, and wouldn’t leave.
    That was 2 years ago. She was only a year and a half old then.
    She is one smart doggie, sleeps by my side, house broke, never met someone she don’t like.

Oh, did I tell ya my wife and I both love her!!!!
    Lots of wonderful pets at these rescue places.

Thanks for reading.

Roger

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Hope you do not have to gas kittens, even though that would be a job I could do. I didn’t say that out loud.

Did you really just type that?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

He meant kittens are a gas.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

I’ll pass on that part, I hope they’ll just let me wash, walk and play with them. Whatever it is I’ll be glad to help. I do have one fear…hamsters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.