Who eats crow?

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nobody that I know will eat one but a gnarly old red-tailed hawk sure enjoyed the dinner provided when I picked a dead one off the lawn and left it on the snow near the driveway. Actually the hawk took a serious interest in the crow when it tipped over in our oak tree suddenly….must be the air cause this happens a lot around here.

So as soon as the crow hits the grown under the tree this hawk swoops up and sits in said tree with his beady eyes trained on the black pile of feathers. I didn’t think too much of it and retrieved said black vermin and tossed it on the drift to finish figuring out he was entering another dimension, but as soon as it hit the snow again that hawk was down and on that sucker in a blink. The hawk hauled it back up in the oak and went to work yanking feathers off while the crow was making some sort of racket and man, there must have been a hundred of his brethren come to call. They didn’t stay to pay respects, I guess maybe it was the sound of pellets hissing past their heads.

The hawk was un-phased by all the commotion and stuck to his dining. I saluted that majestic bird and thanked him for cleaning up the neighborhood with me. I just wish he’d have gotten rid of the feathers down the road a ways.

bigpike

My uncle ate pigeon! Never ask us to bring him crow…

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Could be west nile that finally set in. It kills a lot of crows, but never heard of it this time of year. Probably froze to death!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Fireworks stopped working scaring them off Ehg?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Could be west nile that finally set in. It kills a lot of crows, but never heard of it this time of year. Probably froze to death!!

Most definitely lead poisoning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pigeon is awesome. Baked just like duck.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Who eats Crow?

I screwed up enough in my life that yes I have eaten crow…… maybe not with feathers but no less crow

bigpike

Quote:

In the words of my uncle “%$#&^%$* pigeons been eating my corn all summer”

If the crows would of been eating his corn he’d of been all in I am guessing

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Pigeon breast with garlic lime butter….yum

desperado

what ISN’T good in garlic lime butter ?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Actually the hawk took a serious interest in the crow when it tipped over in our oak tree suddenly….must be the air cause this happens a lot around here.

Must be lead poisoning

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

what ISN’T good in garlic lime butter ?

True dat

finman

Sure have- deep fried… Just like my signature says- ribeye of the sky!!! Ok, let me clarify a little- I’ve tried it once, I had a little too much to drink prior to that endeavor, I do remember it wasn’t all that bad though!! Get me drunk, I might try it again!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Sure have- deep fried… Just like my signature says- ribeye of the sky!!! Ok, let me clarify a little- I’ve tried it once, I had a little too much to drink prior to that endeavor, I do remember it wasn’t all that bad though!! Get me drunk, I might try it again!!

Sounds like a good time to me!

PS Possum … doesn’t taste good with lime butter. So I’ve been told.

chirp
    Rochester

Tom you lining the bottom of that garbage can again with those Black feathers? Least they aren’t down town.

4walleye
    Central SD

Crow in distress call, the best call to bring in his feathered friends if you are a crow hunter. Hard to beat the real thing for calling!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Tom you lining the bottom of that garbage can again with those Black feathers?

I try hard Chirp.

I boiled a ham shank for soup a while ago, wrapped it in chicken wire and then wired the bone with some goodies yet attached to the top rail on the chain link fence out back. That gave up 13 of those black vermin in a couple days and possum that’s been getting in the garage. Nothing like going out to get something from the freezer and turning the lights on only to end up staring down a possum sitting in my can barrel.

Possum are not to bright….kinda like a sheep. That dumb thing sat up on the fence and looked at the bone all wrapped in wire for an hour. Then I fed a .177 to the bean.

The bone, the birds and the poss all went in the can for roasting at the incinerator. I wonder what the btu rating is on feathers?

finman

A few years ago, I was HUGE into crow huntingso I bought a dvd named Eating Crow. The guy just STACKED em up using mouth blown calls somewhere down south in pecan orchards. At the end of the show, there was a segment on cleaning and cooking crows. He cut the ribcage with the breast meat away from the carcass and marinated in a soy sauce mixture and then grilled to perfection!

joshkral

when my grandpa was younger he would hunt crow with his brothers. Whoever shot the fewest had to eat them all!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I heard they taste like licorice.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like a good time to me!

PS Possum … doesn’t taste good with lime butter. So I’ve been told.

Armadillo tastes good with anything including dirty diapers.

chirp
    Rochester

That a boy Tom. Less to crap on us when they come back down town.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The wife had em hang a deer carcass in the back yard this year. Figured the wood peckers, tweety birds and jay would enjoy it and they have. Little disappointed that the piliated wood peckers didnt show up more. What has been cool very unexpected is the regular sightings of a huge red tail hawk showing up to it. It even tried flying off with the carcass one day. Didnt get any farther than lifting it off the hook on the tree.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Heard Lance Armstrong likes eating some crow.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

eat crow………..crappies………. same thing!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.