LOW report from the weekend

• tr
    Plymouth

Fourth annual Father son trip with same 6 guys, thanks to Scott for organizing again and Slims for making it a great time. We got lucky and had a good steady bite before the big CHILL moved in. I also want to give a BIG thank youto the guys at TUCR, had my two new rods up there and what more can I say than LOVE THEM!!!! thanks to John and Adam for there time again at the show to set me up with what are now my favorite rods, Thank you again guys, couldn’t be happier with new gear, For the fish, we found them im both 20 feet and 30 feet, nothing big but lots in the 13 – 18 inch size, lots of small saugers so we kept busy. You can see from the picks we were able to come home with our limit. Thanks again to our group of 6 for making the father son trip another success. Funny how then to watch IDO on sunday to see James talking about taking a kid fishing, what a perfect way to end our 2013 fishing season!!

Happy New year to all and be safe tonight and always on the ice!!

jake47
    WI

Awesome catch! The fillets in the sink have the skin still on. Do you leave that on or do you take that off before freezing. If you leave it on, how do you cook them?

tr
    Plymouth

We left it on as we were told we had to. Once we got home finished filleting them out. We love the flour, egg, panko and fry method. it is a family favorite. Thanks

good luck to you and be safe

happy new year

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

You have to leave at least one square piece of skin for transporting

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Were you up on the Angle? I am fishing there next Tuesday and Wednesday out of Jakes.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

I thought you had to leave Saugers whole or they are counted as walleyes?

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Quote:

I thought you had to leave Saugers whole or they are counted as walleyes?

X 2 – I thought the same thing…….

timmy

Yup…,filleted saugers count as walleyes. Having 8 fish per guy in that filleted condition = violation. Period(unless packed by a licensed fish packer). You or I may disagree with the law, but the black and white reads very clearly.

I feel it is one of the dumbest laws in the books IMHO. If a warden can not get a feel for a guys intent while both checking licenses and also looking at fillets with all of their skin on (yes I know you need only a 1″ patch, but I am referring to the picture)and then still not determine that a limit of saugers and walleyes was taken, then I feel that the individual warden is not very bright…..in fact I would consider him or her to be an idiot.

Either way…. happy new Year and awesome trip/report!

T.

rwestb
    OTC

“• Fish must be packaged or transported in such a way that they can be readily unwrapped, separated, identified, and counted. •
    n e w
    Muskellunge, sturgeon, catfish, salmon, splake, brook trout, brown trout, and rainbow trout, which have statewide length limits, must be transported with head and tail intact so the fish can be measured. Northern pike and walleye may be dressed or filleted except when on experimental, special, border waters, or other waters that differ from statewide length limits.”

This is from the regulations book that is available online or at most bait shops. The way I read it the only thing you may do is remove the guts. Slot for walleyes is 19 1/2 in. to 28 in.

tr
    Plymouth

Thank you all for the helpful tips. just goes to show you that not everyone in the fish cleaning shack knows what they are talking about. we will make sure the boys, our kids that cleaned the fish know next time as many up there did not. I appreciate all the help in getting the correct info.

Happy new year to all the IDO family

Be safe out there and good luck fishing to everyone.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.