water softener help

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok looking to get a new one. I had a “pellet” one growing up that was 1 piece. and now i have a 2 station. “block” system I would call it i guess. pro’s and con’s of these 2? commers says 1500 and sears says 400???? any advice?

thanks

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

You’ll get many opinions on this one. I don’t have knowledge of the block style, but I’m running 13 years with the Sears I installed. I think I’m now on borrowed time at this point.

Once the boss starts complaining about the water not being soft, I’ll install a new one.

Also, many of the “economical” softeners from the big box stores (Fleet Farm, Menards, Sears) are built by the same manufacturer.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

How old were these units?
    Water Softeners should last 20-30 years with very minor maintenance. Maybe the clock or a O-Ring goes bad, but they should last. (This according to my dearly departed Dad whom Sold, Rented and Repaired Water Softeners for 45 years.)

I have one similar to this, replaced the timer about 7 years ago, otherwise just fill it with salt. Regenerates based on water usage for the hardness of our city water. It was in the house when we moved in and we’ve been here for 15+ years.

What seems to be the problem with your current softener?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

{clipped}
    Also, many of the “economical” softeners from the big box stores (Fleet Farm, Menards, Sears) are built by the same manufacturer.

X2

Basically 2-manufacturers (Fleck & Autotrol) for the Head/control unit. Numerous companies buy these controls, put them on a tank filled with Mineral and add a Salt Tank.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

You’ll get many opinions on this one. I don’t have knowledge of the block style, but I’m running 13 years with the Sears I installed. I think I’m now on borrowed time at this point.

Once the boss starts complaining about the water not being soft, I’ll install a new one.

Most people/companies don’t know how or just won’t try to fix an older unit. They make more money on new sales and installation.

That said, usually it is just a seal, O-Ring, Timer, etc. that goes bad and these parts are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Helped my dad on many service calls.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

go to wallyworld and pick up a Morton yellow unit
    they are like $200 or less they work with pellets and last quite well and are easy to put in

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Fleet farm sells a 40k grain Fleck control unit for $450 or something like that. Best bang for your buck. Could try a Sears or Whirlpool one also. But if you can put in your self you you should not have to spend more then $500. $1500 is a rip off.

mcrew
    zumbrota,mn

I put in a waterboss from fleetfarm about $450 easy to install and operate and takes up less room

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

1 tank or 2 they are both the same. My guess the difference between sears and commers is commers price includes delivery, installation and disposal of existing unit. With commers at least you are buying from a company thats main focus is water softeners.

Im guessing you are not looking to install yourself?

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I have one from menards it it the Morton brand. The install is easy if you can solder copper.

They are made in town also. Just recently talked to a retired worker form Morton and he said it is one of the best on the market.

Commers are way over priced for me but I can do the install myself and do not need to be scammed into salt delivery for a unit that will not need that much throughout the year.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Water Softeners should last 20-30 years with very minor maintenance.

Ya, if you are running pure water into it. Well water and many city supplies make that 10-12 years in most cases.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Vikes take opening kick b ck,poder plays ok, cover spread

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Vikes take opening kick b ck,poder plays ok, cover spread

Would this be considered open water trolling?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

My opinion, Commers is overpriced. Not sure what Sears sells. If you end up looking at Waterboss, I have been told by the plumber that did my new house that the Fleet Farm ones are better made that then Menards/HD Waterbosses as the internals are different. Take it for whats it’s worth.

I did a lot of research before buying one for my new home, although I am dealing high iron levels which you probably don’t have in Blaine if you are on city water.

I ended up going with a 3M Aqua-Pure system, with a separate brine tank. This came with a Clack valve. If you can, I would find a softener with one of the valves listed above (Fleck, Autotrol, Clack).

Also, sizing is important so make sure you get it sized correctly for your family and water use and program it properly.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.