Garage Attic Insulation ?

• ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I have a bunch of insulation left over from finishing my basement. Kraft faced insulation from the walls and regular insulation from the ceiling.

My question is, would there be any code issues with using this insulation in my garage attic?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Don’t know why there would be. Insulation is insulation.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I guess I’m more worried about the kraft faced insulation being an issue.

Maybe this answers my question:

NOTE: Do not leave faced insulation exposed. The facings on kraft-faced insulation will burn and must be installed in substantial contact with an

approved interior finish as soon as the insulation has been installed. Facing must be installed in substantial contact with an approved ceiling, floor

or wall material. Keep open flame and other heat sources away from facing. Do not place insulation within 3″ of a light fixture or similar electrical

device unless device is labeled for contact with insulation. Use only unfaced insulation between wood framing and masonry chimneys. Do not use

insulation in spaces around metal chimneys, fireplaces or flues. Unfaced insulation is considered noncombustible by model build codes. Flame Spread

25 products are flame-spread rated and can be left exposed where codes allow. See package for warnings, fire hazard and instructions, or call

1-800-GET-PINK™.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

peel the paper off and use it. the paper comes off easy.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I was thinking I could put it in upside down with the paper against the sheetrock…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m on my cell, so here’s a short answer. Assuming attached garage. You should have a 20min fire rock common to living space. The paper works as your vapor vapor barrier. If you you already have a plastic vapor vapor barrier, peel the paper off. Do not install with the paper up to the unconditioned space.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.