sidewall repair

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

My truck’s front passenger tire began slowly leaking so I brought it in for repair and they found a plugged hole in the sidewall. They told me there is one place in Rochester they know that can reliably fix a hole in a sidewall–adamson motors… something about a fusing procedure something or other–around a $70 repair. I have 8/32nd tread life left and will put 5-6k miles a year on the truck. The michelins I want are $997 after all said and done. All variables considered I think I’d be best off doing the sidewall repair so my question is: what are people’s experiences with sidewall repairs?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Dont qoute me here.. but I believe they send them down to Winona to have repaired.I am not sure where there tho,Pomps Tire may be able tell you where tho.

wally1992
    Evansville MN

I had no clue they could do such a thing! Be interested to see the reports.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Why not just boot it and put a radial tube in the tire?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

How big’s the hole? Is it really a leak or is there a bruise or bulge, belts letting go, other issue?

Are you running the same tires on all 4 corners?

If yes and it really is a small leak, why cant they plug the damn thing and move it to the back?

I’m sorr, but I’ve always suspected friggin’ tire shops are feedin a line of BS most of the time about not being able to fix sidewalls, danger of the fix coming undone, blah, blah. Bottom line seems to be their bottom line, they want to sell you new tires for big bucks not fix them for small bucks.

Mrs Grouse somehow managed to get a nail through the sidewall on her Krautmobile with only 1000 miles on brand new rubber. Shop pulled the same BS, can’t fix it, too risky, sorry road hazzard doesn’t cover sidewall damage, blah blah blah, need to replace it for $500 plus labor.

I said bullsh!t, plug the damn thing and move it to the back. They finally did. She ran with it like that for 30k, never an issue.

If it’s small enough that it could be plugged in the tread, why can’t it be plugged on the sidewall if it’s moved to the back as an extra precaution?

Grouse

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Take it to a Discount Tire and put on the road hazard warranty, you can buy it for any tires with 3/32 or more.

This warranty, called the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement, would cover the tire problems that really frustrate people-road hazards and defects-from the moment they bought the tires to the final mile of legal tread depth (3/32″). Ever hit something in the road that ruins your tire? Or how about a tire that becomes defective? Who cares about why this happened? You just want a new tire put on with no hassles. Right? Right! So we tried it.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Most places will not repair side walls. too much flexing in the sidewall to make a good permanent repair.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

As far as I know there is no sidewall repair that is considered a legal repair. If you look Rubber Manufacturers [censored]. they tell how to repair a tire. GY, Mich.,BFG, you name the tire company, all say not to repair a tire in the shoulder area or sidewall. A plug alone is not even considered a legal repair in the face of the tire. Legally you have to dismount the tire to check inside for any damage. It is all about liability. Too many lawyers looking for work.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

NEVER repair sidewall!! Never…

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Anyone want to buy 3 decent 265 75R16 tires? . half kidding… going to try some gorilla glue first…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

A lot of used tires out there, try finding one the same size first. Or put on the spare so the brand matches and get an odd one for spare. I agree with others, never fix a sidewall.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.