First rod and reel for kids

• d-train

What did you all do for your kids first rod and reel?

My twins are now 2 1/2 and love fishing with dad. That mostly consists of me doing all of the fishing and letting them release the fish. I try to let them reel too but I have more expensive gear and am a little overprotective of it.

I want to let them be more involved.

What’s a good first combo for them? My boy loves playing with dad’s tools instead of his own play tools, so I’m thinking the same applies here. I want to get them something closer to my own gear than snoopy or spongebob or whatever play fishing gear they have nowadays.

Would a spinning reel just be asking for trouble?

I’m sort of thinking a shorter rod (ice fishing?) with an underspin spincast.

I don’t want to break the bank obviously. The combo might just end up overboard on the first outing.

I’m in the north metro if it helps with where to shop.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

My first rod and my brother’s was a snoopy rod. My little brother had a son of his own. He got what appeared to be the same rod combo we had but graphics were the Pixar Cars movie. The nephew loves it!

He turned 6 this year and came to Minnesota for the first time. He got another spincast combo at the cabin but full size(cheapest grandpa could find). He did “okay” with the larger rod but look out when it was time to cast.

Walmart, Kmart, anywhere that has this classic spincast combo. I know you wanted to stay away from Snoopy but it does fit the bill. Besides it’s harder to break and cheap to replace when it does get smashed.

d-train

Thanks Pat, maybe you are right. Snoopy is a classic first combo… and for good reason.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Both of my kids started out with a Spongebob pole. Personally, I didn’t think it mattered as long as they were out having fun with it! It was most important to get on some small panfish to make it exciting.
    Worrying about catching fish, as opposed to what they catch them with.

I moved my oldest (now 7) up to a 5 foot combo w/push button zebco style reel. It was just a cheap combo from the man’s mall. I opted for this after an experiment with one of my spinning reels didn’t go too well
    He loves it and does really well with it.

I will say, I did some trolling with them and for that they got to use “Daddy’s Gear” (my back-up poles w/line counters). They absolutely loved that.

The line counters made it very simple. “Let out line until you see X number”

Long story short, I don’t think there is a wrong answer. It’s about getting the kids on the water having fun!!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I bought my Grandson an UGLY STICK Jr for his 3rd Birthday (August), but gave it to him 3-months early.

Easy to use and he’s caught a few nice fish.
    3′-8″ Light weight SpinCast combo.

Link to view UGLY STICK JR

Nearly Un-Breakable too!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ill second the ugly stick. Good rod for the money. I would just bring them into the store and they have so many cheap rod and reel combos now just let them pick one out that they like. Let them know some may be easier to cast than others when it comes to the reel. All my kids and the nephews I take out have cheap combos all I do is replace the line they come with to some good stuff.

sandmannd

I let my daughter pick out her own. She wanted a princess rod and reel. There have been some big fish pulled in on those rods if you look through forums. The main key is to get them out and on panfish with them. Then graduate them up to an ugly stick. My opinion is an ugly stick can be a little long for them to handle. It’s like a 5′ guy grabbing a 10′ rod.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I have boys that are currently 7, 5, and 2 years old. They all started with floating spong bob pole. We have been lucky that it has lasted this long with out much problems. I have changed the line a few times is all that comes to mind. My oldest started using a 1000series shimano last summer.

FDR

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

PM Sent

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

PM Sent

Custom rods make for a life long gift

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Built a custom rod for my granddaughter and she caught many fish on it. Basically took a long ice fishing blank and put a spin-cast reel on it. She is now going on 7, using a spinning rod and reel and usually out fishes me.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have 8 year old twins. I started them off with spinning rods with cheap reels and it worked out fine. More important was finding a good bite first, have good snacks along, and keep your trips to a couple hours. Any more than that and they got anxious.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

MY son is 2 1/2 as well. He actually could use a ice rod pretty good for the 5 minutes he can stay focused. You can’t cast real far but it is easy for him to work with.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

which do you think would be funner to fish with??? a plane old ice fishing combo or a fancy spongbob/snoppy/princess rod. just let them pick it out. i have a 8yo nephew that started out with the snoppy rod, and by the way , caught many walleyes and bass without a hicup. he has now graduated to using my gear and can cast a abu garcia 6500 on a 7ft muskie rod with very few backlashes. i now am short 1 muskie combo since his last stay at my house.

d-train

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and to rod-man for the generous offer.

I stopped by Joe’s today on lunch break and the kids are now soon to be proud owners of a Spiderman and Barbie combo. I can’t wait to get home, take the hooks off a couple of old rapalas and tie them on, and give the new rod and reel to the kids.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.