si or di?

• Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

side imaging or down imaging whats everyone prefer and why? unit would be hummingbird and used primarily on pool 4 thanks for any input

artifishal

Side Imaging. Much more versatility because you are able to view an area off to both sides of the boat instead of directly below you. You are then able to locate structure, transitions, drop-offs, etc., move your cursor to that area, and then drop a waypoint so you are able to navigate to that spot at a later time

scott-k
    Red Wing

Absolutely side imaging hands down that way you can see a lot more of the fish in the contours beyond just want is beneath your boat. Also superb for scouting the shoreline to see trees and rocks and weed beds.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

I have lowrance and use side more for looking for where to fish and down while trying to catch. Both are awesome in combination. The best part of down is seeing the definite seperation of marks on bottom, unlike 2d where the fish had to be off bottom quite a bit before you definitely saw the mark and were sure it was a fish and not a rock. After watching one of Doc Sampsons videos on 2D from the past saying here is a fish on the bottom, I would say if he watched that video he would have to retract and say its a rock, technology has come a long way!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m with you Ramrod. I use a screen with 2 differant views (either 2d and DI or SI, Di) and a screen with 3 views(gps, SI, DI). Mine are the HB’s.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

You’ll recieve a lot of good feedback on your question Nick. Keep in mind that there is great benefits to both SI and DI units. The biggest factor for most guys when trying to decide which way to go is a budget. It will cost you more to go with a SI type unit. Another factor is the type of fishing you do. If you find yourself fishing 10 ft or deeper most of the time and you don’t want to spend a fortune then the DI unit may be best suited for you. If you fish a lot of shorelines and shoreline cover/structure by casting then a SI unit may fit your needs a little better. The best advise I would give to anyone trying to make this decision is be patient. Do a little research and once you know your budget for a unit you’ll be able to find which unit will best suite you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.