Ford F-150 Ecoboost

• Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Anyone that has this truck- How do you like it and is the milage anywhere close to what the sticker says. Thinking of trading my 07 Duramax for one. Don’t really need the 3/4 ton or the diesel anymore and KBB trade in is the same as what I paid for it almost four years ago.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Pretty hard to not like this truck. Power is good at low rpms (1500-2500) I got 20-21 mpgs until I put a topper on than 17-19 (4″ over the cab). I pulled a 4 place snomo trailer to URL and got 11.5 mpg with good power. The quad cab is very roomy in the back. It didn’t start twice on a cold day ice fishing,…had to cycle the ignition on-off to get it to engage and start. Dealer said it was the battery,…I think its something more.

bigdude

I put 30k on my 2012 f150 last year and like it! Gas mileage is great and the power is unmatched. Problems were the tires were bald after 21000m, My check engine lite keeps coming on due to snow dust getting in the turbo and the part that fixes the problem wont be here till april 28th, And i have a front wheel bearing going out! Other than that i like the truck.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I dont have one of these trucks but will someday. I have heard a few problems with them but if you do buy a new one it should have a warranty for the little cliches they need to work out with this fairly new motor.Ford does have a website that shows a torture test of this motor against chevy and dodge that is super impressive, It just blows away the competition.I do autobody for a living and Ford is built way better than chevy and dodge also. Super roomy inside also and very quiet. I would pick this truck over any truck out there and i have had chevys most of my life. Ford definetly has something good going here!Look up “Ford” and then go to torture test to see an awesome video!Joe

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I had an duramax sold it for a 2011 super crew Eco boost with topper. The low range power is very good as well as passing power when needed. I average 18 mpg as my commuter vehicle as well. Winter mileage has gone down a bit. Pulling power is very impressive whether boat or snowmobile trailer. I have 50k on truck and only thing I have done besides oil change and tire rotation is put a new set of tires on, as previous post mentioned the Goodyear sra’s wear quick. I have the 157″ wheelbase.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Thanks for the replys. Been a Chevy guy for a long time too but this Ford has got my attention. Right now they have a 5 year 100,000 mi power train warranty so that is nice. I agree that the Goodyear tires are crap.

honda75
    Iowa

My dad and brother both have one. More power and torque than most small v8’s and better mileage even while towing and boat. They are averaging 17 to 19 on the highway. Top I have seen was 21.9. That was two lane roads with cruise set at 62. Most of the time towing the boat(17ft lund) he will pull 16 to 17mpg. Crew cab to is the biggest cab of all of them as well.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have one with only 8,000 miles and without a trailer on the highway get just over 16mpg…. hoping it gets better with some miles, as I was hoping for more. Then again, I don’t at 60 mph either.

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Got about 14K on mine, got it in June. Have the Supercab, 6.5’bed with the 3.73 rear, HD trailering package and 4 wheel drive. I float around 19-20, with 22-23 when I’m not stopping and starting all the time. Pulled the skeeter around and got around 16. I’ve put a K&N air filter, flowmaster duel exhaust and superchipped it to performance mode, so mine definitely not stock. For a truck rated to tow 12K pounds, I am thrilled with it so far. The quad cab is extremely roomly and it’s our new “minivan” that I will drive. We don’t take my wife’s equinox anywhere anymore. I’d recommend it!

btomlin
    Albia, IA

I just got out of my friend’s brand new 2013 with 247miles.

We just went on a small road trip and it appears if you are the type that drives little hard you aren’t going to see much of a mpg improvement, but if you are the type that drives speed limit or <5over and doesn’t have to beat the guy off the light, you are going to see mpg gold!!!

On the way up he was rodding on it pretty good and was getting 15mpg and on the way home we took our time and just cruised and got 20.3 mpg.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Wow that Ford torture test is insane! That all i have to say.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Got about 14K on mine, got it in June. Have the Supercab, 6.5’bed with the 3.73 rear, HD trailering package and 4 wheel drive. I float around 19-20, with 22-23 when I’m not stopping and starting all the time. Pulled the skeeter around and got around 16. I’ve put a K&N air filter, flowmaster duel exhaust and superchipped it to performance mode, so mine definitely not stock. For a truck rated to tow 12K pounds, I am thrilled with it so far. The quad cab is extremely roomly and it’s our new “minivan” that I will drive. We don’t take my wife’s equinox anywhere anymore. I’d recommend it!

How does adding the chip effect your warranty? Does anybody know when Ford switched to Goodyear? I thought they always used Firestones on their trucks.

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Quote:

Wow that Ford torture test is insane! That all i have to say.

You’re not a kidding!!!

jdmike
    Thompson, ND

I have a 2011 Eco 157″ wb 3.55 gears and I love it! Just under 17,000 miles and I average 16-17 with mixed city driving and interstate travel. If you drive it hard mileage is no better than a similar powered V8 but if you’re nice it is great! As mentioned the cab is huge and rear seat legroom is awesome. I have had no problems at all and am very happy with the purchase.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

I plan on trading in my Sierra Denali for a F150 EcoBoost with appearance package in either black or white. One hell of a sweet looking truck this year. Like others have stated, the crew cabs are very roomy. Surprisingly, even the xtended cabs are roomy.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

So the general consensus I’m seeing on mileage is 15-17 if your hard on it and 18-20 if your easy on it empty. Surprised really, I though that the ECOboost was supposed to get better mileage. (Those #’s are exactly what I get out of my 5.3 V8 in my 09 silverado, 16-18 in mixed driving if I’m on the gas more, 18-20 if I take it easy, best empty trip was 20.5 on about a 200 mile round trip)

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

So the general consensus I’m seeing on mileage is 15-17 if your hard on it and 18-20 if your easy on it empty. Surprised really, I though that the ECOboost was supposed to get better mileage. (Those #’s are exactly what I get out of my 5.3 V8 in my 09 silverado, 16-18 in mixed driving if I’m on the gas more, 18-20 if I take it easy, best empty trip was 20.5 on about a 200 mile round trip)

Exactly. That is why I keep asking why get a 6 cylinder with a turbo for XX many dollars more when it does nothing more than a typical V8.

I am waiting for the manufacturers to come out with a truck that gets 30 MPG highway when empty, mid 20’s city and mid teens towing. Then they will have something.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. That is why I keep asking why get a 6 cylinder with a turbo for XX many dollars more when it does nothing more than a typical V8.

I am waiting for the manufacturers to come out with a truck that gets 30 MPG highway when empty, mid 20’s city and mid teens towing. Then they will have something.

One is coming…. 30 MPG Truck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thought I have seen commercials lately with the silverado and dodge claiming low 20s for MPG?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Yep, I have been watching Dodge. They also have their version of the EcoBoost and an 8 speed transmission coming out.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

“Thought I have seen commercials lately with the silverado and dodge claiming low 20s for MPG?”

I think this is the ‘hybrid’ they have XFE or something to that nature. If I remember correct its only available in 2wd and has a pretty weak rear end.

The mileage I’m getting is a crew cab 4×4 with Z71 package and a 3.42 ratio. All stock, nothing added.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

KBB trade in is the same as what I paid for it almost four years ago.

When you go in to deal on the truck you want tell the dealer you do not want to trade anything in and get the best price out of him that you can. After you get the best price out of him tell him you changed your mind and what to trade in your truck, I am willing to bet they will not give you that price they quoted you without a trade in. Most dealers will give you what looks like a great price for your trade in but will charge you top dollar for the rig you are buying. I never trade in when buying from a dealer I have always sold my vehicles outright myself. I am not a Ford guy but one of my fishing buddies has a 2012 F-150 crew cab in a 6 banger, like other have said very roomy in the back and can comfortably haul 5 adults, very roomy in the back seat.

Quote:

We just went on a small road trip and it appears if you are the type that drives little hard you aren’t going to see much of a mpg improvement, but if you are the type that drives speed limit or <5over and doesn’t have to beat the guy off the light, you are going to see mpg gold!!!

I think this is true of any truck, I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado with a 5.7 350 that gets much better gas mileage if I keep it locked in at 55mph when going down the hwy.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I think this is true of any truck, I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado with a 5.7 350 that gets much better gas mileage if I keep it locked in at 55mph when going down the hwy.

So YOU’RE that guy I always have to pass!!!!

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

G. Didnt Ford sell 27 mph when they first started leaking that ecoboost was coming? Not to say Dodge can’t do it but I’ve always been one to wait & see. If I knew for sure I’d be hangin’ tight for another year or two,,, if my Dakota would make it

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I’ve got a 2011 EcoBoost Supercrew FX4 with the heavy duty towing package and 3.73 gears. The sticker on the window when I bought it said I should get 17 to 25 on the highway depending on how I drive it. The worst mileage was 16.5 driving 70 mph into a 30 mph wind and the best was 25 mpg driving 60 mph with a strong tailwind. From my experience what Ford claims on my truck is pretty accurate. Where the Ecoboost really shines is towing my #3000 boat compared to my previous 05 F150 with the 5.4. The Eco blows the doors off my old truck when it comes to towing power and mpg. My worst mileage towing was 13.3 towing up to Rainy into a strong headwind. My best mileage towing was 16.5 coming back from Brainerd last summer with a slight tail wind. Overall I am very happy with my EcoBoost, you should take one for a test drive and compare it to the Chevy and Dodge.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Dodge, if I was in the market for a new truck I would definitely take a look at it.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Thought I would share on this old post. About 2 months ago I bought a 2012 Ford F-150 FX with the 3.5 Liter EcoBoost. I absolutely love this truck! Like others have said it has great power and is very spacious. Now on to the gas mileage I’m happy with it. I don’t think its gets as great as it was advertised but this is a used truck with 50K miles on it. In the city I average around 16 and on the highway going about 70 mph I’ll get around 18 to 19. Now I have noticed if I’m going about 55 to 60 the mpg does way better.

It will have it’s first test towing soon, when I pull our 27 foot Formula that weighs around 6000 pounds I’m guessing. I’m curious on how it will handle pulling that hog. Will post again after that adventure down to the marina.

KP

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

Depending on the rear end that truck won’t blink pulling 6,000 lbs. If you have the 3.31, it might not be great, but with the 3.55 or 3.73 it’ll pull that thing nicely.

TMF89

I wasn’t going to add this in to turn into into a debate, but since someone above already broached the Ram subject, I’ll add my 2 cents in. For the record, I may or may not work at a Ram dealership (points for honesty, right??).

I have a 2014 crew cab 6’4 bed Laramie 1500 with the EcoDiesel engine. 3.0 V6. I’ve owned it for about a week and a half now, and after finally getting down to a 1/4 tank, I filled it up and did the math. 25.4 mpg, that’s about 75/25% freeway (65-70mph)/city driving. No road trips yet, but I did run it up and down 35E for a couple hours, and got 28.5 mpg. I can’t wait to throw my boat behind it, everything I’ve read says as long as you aren’t hauling a 6,000lb plus travel trailer, you should expect 18-20 mpg while towing, probably a bit more than that since I only have a 17′ aluminum Lund. So far I’m super happy with the engine, and since our dealership offers lifetime warranties, I’m not too worried about the associated issues that the diesel engines have from time to time.

Also I have about half a dozen coworkers who drive the latest Hemis, and those guys are all getting 18-22 mpg freeway, two of them run with boats behind them pretty regularly, and they get 16-20 mpg with those. And I know that’s all hearsay, but you guys will just have to take my word that I saw the EVIC numbers, and the hand-math that they did. So, just an option!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What is your dodge eco diesel rated to tow? I thought it wasn’t that much?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Anyone every have any information on putting in a new air intake or exhaust? How did it help/hurt your truck?

I saw a video on youtube by Stacey David and he installed a new exhaust and air intake. It looked very easy to do and just wondering if anyone has done that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.