Wrestling no longer an Olympic sport?

• the_grump
    Le Center

Who are these idiots running the Olympics? What are they making room for,badminton? Oh yea they already have that. How about going back to the amateurs instead of watching overpaid pros. I guess even the Olympics are being run strictly for profit.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Just stupid …

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

Is it still the Olympics , when you take out the original Olympic sport ? I can’t even get my head around this, the IOC is run by some real mental midgets. I sure hope they come to there senses and change this ruling.

desperado

modern day Europeans (i.e. Yur-a-peein’s … or Yur-a-peons)

The Greeks and Romans know how to put on a good sporting contest
    as for the rest of Europe
    well; they are the ones who brought us soccer, and on top of that try to tell us it’s the “real” football … nuff said

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Like we say at Work… YOU CAN`T FIX STUPID !!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Adding Golf. Might as well add Poker too. That’s a sport. It’s on ESPN, right?

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I thought this was stated well
    “Golf is being added for the 2016 games, and while I appreciate the talent and skill of golfers, there is a professional-level circuit that serves golfers’ dreams well. For wrestlers, an Olympic medal was the ultimate prize.”
    Hey IOC,

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sad. Wasn’t wrestling the only sport that has been around since the original Olympic games?

Ed BZ
    Amery, WI

I cant even get my head around this

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Gun control… Pope Benedict stepping down… and now Wrestling being axed from the Olympics….Sitting here stunned…whats next? Things are moving way to fast for me!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

AYE! Its the signs of the apocalypse!!!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

AYE! Its the signs of the apocalypse!!!

A wooden desk to hunker under will give….

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Even if you’re not a wrestling fan, you have to appreciate the sport for what it is.

As a fan of wrestling, this decision blows my mind. Are you kidding me? I imagine there is quite an uproar in Eastern Europe and some of the middle-Eastern countries. Those guys live and breath wrestling.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Not to sound like a hippie, but the nice part about wrestling is that you dont need thousands or millions to train and compete. All you need is determination and hard work.

The original reason for the Olympics was to take a break from in-fighting and wars amoung the Greek city states and have a competition to see who the best warriors were. Running, jumping, javelin, discus, shot put and wrestling were all skills used in battle.

I guess sprint canoeing and trampoline are more important events that one on one competition.

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

There are some things so stupid that they can’t even be fixed by duct tape.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Hey but they are adding Golf……

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This pretty much sums it up.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Adding Golf. Might as well add Poker too. That’s a sport. It’s on ESPN, right?

-J.

The ocho!

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

The next step is that they are going to give participation medals to everyone so nobody feels bad when they lose …

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I hope they never get rid of curling. That is the only shot I ever have at getting Olympic gold.

A case could easily be made that Wrestling is the sport that represents what the Olympics is all about. How can there be multiple types of martial arts in the Olympics, but they can’t find room for wrestling? How about equestrian? Isn’t it an animal that is actually doing the work? I hope people get behind this and I would be happy to sign any petitions.

PB2

Signed!

What is the rationale of eliminating the sport?

Not a real big wrestling fan but I always watched a Medal match or two in the Olympics!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks for posting that Ralph. Both of my boys just entered youth wrestling club. I can’t believe this.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Is it still the Olympics , when you take out the original Olympic sport ? I can’t even get my head around this, the IOC is run by some real mental midgets. I sure hope they come to there senses and change this ruling.

I love watching wrestling and I did sign the petition.
    But….isn’t the Marathon the original Olympic sport?
    I would put wrestling 2nd to the marathon when it comes to sports that best represent the Olympics.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.