Remington 870 or Benelli Super Nova?

• jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Looking to make a 12 gauge purchase soon. These are the two guns I am considering… The use will be all over the hunting spectrum. A rifled slug is also a strong consideration. New or Used don’t matter all that much to me. Looking for some information or advice into these guns.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I went through this discussion earlier. I bought the SuperNova. Absolutely love it. Get ready for the Ford/Chevy debate to ensue.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve had an 870 for 10 years and it has worked well for me. I have a few other shotguns, but I always find myself grabbing this one. Mainly because I can beat it up in the duck boat or walking through the woods and it still works.

The Novas always seemed very loose to me. I don’t care for how they look either.

As cpetey mentioned, there was a long discussion about this before too.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

I have had 3 870’s and they all have pissed me off. If you ask why would you get one after one already sucked i respond they were all presents for birthday or christmas..If you think I am just not taking good care of my guns i respond. I have a 40 year old 870 with no rust that belonged to my grandfather. If it wasn’t my grandfathers gun I would have used it as an anchor by now. I have had a winchester X2 and love the hell out of it. Go to a semi.. They are great.

Not trying to sound like a jack hole or know it all. I guess i just wish I could have hunted with nicer stuff for too long.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I had the Nova. It was a great gun for me. Indestructable. Super easy to tear down and clean. Recoil can be a concern. I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it…problem fixed. I upgraded to the SuperNova. All of the good from the Nova and fixed the recoil issue. Everything seems a little tighter as well.

BBKK
    IA

If you want to beat the hell out of your gun, not clean it, and expect it to work most of the time… get the nova. If you want a gun that will shoot well for almost any shooter, and work flawlessly if you do YOUR part and clean it, get the 870. If you want to support Italy’s economy, get the benelli. If you want to support the USA economy, buy remington.

Benellis are nice guns, but I cant shoot them worth a crap. The forearm doesnt feel right to me, and the raised ribs on some throw me way off. I’m a Rem guy and always will be.

You will hear guys say the 870 is crap and breaks down too often. That is because they dont take care of their guns and expect them to work every time. They wont work that way.

beck
    Menomonie, WI

I’ve got a Nova. I’ve had it since they were a new model and love the gun. It’s been used to take waterfowl, pheasant/grouse, turkey, and deer. I prefer the feel of the gun and the pump action over that of the 870 which I shoot a fair amount for work and it works however I still prefer the Nova. Some may not think the Benelli is the prettiest shotgun you’ll find but it is practical. Both are decent quality and shoot fine. If you’re looking for something that will shoot 3 1/2″ shells the SuperNova will do it. If you want to shoot 3 1/2s in the Remington you’ll have to ensure you pick up the right model.

Ultimately I’d go with what feels the most natural when you shoulder it/cycle the action. I don’t think you could go wrong with either one. As was mentioned before…Ford vs. Chevy.

Good luck.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I believe the Nova has more felt recoil than the 870. I have an 870 because I like blued steel and walnut.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I believe the Nova has more felt recoil than the 870. I have an 870 because I like blued steel and walnut.

Correct. I had a nova for 1 day, I shot a 3.5″ turkey shell at the range and nearly broke my arm, sold the gun the next day.

The 870 with the supercell recoil pad ($20 add-on) will be much less recoil. The supercell reduces 50% of the recoil and makes an 870 less felt recoil than a gas semi-auto. To add an aftermarket recoil pad to a benelli to get it to the same felt recoil would be a $100-$150 custom job.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I prefer the feel of the gun and the pump action over that of the 870 which I shoot a fair amount for work …

What kind of job do you have???

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

[quoteThe 870 with the supercell recoil pad ($20 add-on) will be much less recoil. The supercell reduces 50% of the recoil and makes an 870 less felt recoil than a gas semi-auto. To add an aftermarket recoil pad to a benelli to get it to the same felt recoil would be a $100-$150 custom job.

I’m not sure that is accurate. The Super Nova has a built-in recoil reducer in the stock. Doesn’t kick much with 3″ duck loads. Haven’t had the need for a 3 1/2″

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

[quoteThe 870 with the supercell recoil pad ($20 add-on) will be much less recoil. The supercell reduces 50% of the recoil and makes an 870 less felt recoil than a gas semi-auto. To add an aftermarket recoil pad to a benelli to get it to the same felt recoil would be a $100-$150 custom job.

I’m not sure that is accurate. The Super Nova has a built-in recoil reducer in the stock. Doesn’t kick much with 3″ duck loads. Haven’t had the need for a 3 1/2″

Nothing kicks much with 3″ duck loads. 3″ duck load is what, 3 drams? A 3.5″ mag is 4.5 drams I believe. That is 50% more power, and in turn if everything else is the same it is about 40% more recoil. A gun set up for 3.5 will not kick much with a 3″ load, unless it is a magnum lead load.

The recoil reducer in the stock is just a spring, pretty sure of that. A spring doesnt take out much felt recoil, but it does take out enough for it to be noticeable. With the recoil reducer and a good buttpad you shouldnt be able to feel a 3″ duck load at all. Similar to a gas auto’s recoil.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Bought an 870 when I was 14, it’s been with me every year through a lot of nasty stuff – I’ll be 54 next week. Just saying.

pass0047
    Pool4

you can paddle out using the 870 and shoot all day and paddle back and it is no worse for the wear. It was labeled one of the top 10 guns of all time by field and stream for a reason. Never used a Nova because the 870 I got at 12 never failed. (currently 39) and I hate to say did not take care it as much as it deserved when I was younger. Just my opinion.
    Good luck and sounds like you will not make a mistake either way.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Lets be clear here. All 870’s are not the same. The Wingmaster is the premium version crafted with finer components making a damn fine shotgun. All other 870’s are inferior to the Wingmaster.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Not sure why everyone compares this discussion to the great Chevy-Ford debate.

Wouldnt this one be more like the Ferrari-Ford debate?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Not sure why everyone compares this discussion to the great Chevy-Ford debate.

Wouldnt this one be more like the Ferrari-Ford debate?

Yup, one Italian fancy gun made to look pretty and show off, and one American basic gun made to get the job done (kill birds).

That was a good one

henny
    Prescott, WI

dont buy a rem 870 express they are junk. A 870 wingmaster is a great gun. i like the supernova in camo shoots 3.5″ for waterfowl and turkey. also patterns well with a jellyhead choke and hevi-shot out to 50yds. have friends that shoot them and no problems yet. but buy a gun that fits you and feels good and smooth when you bring it up.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

dont buy a rem 870 express they are junk. A 870 wingmaster is a great gun. i like the supernova in camo shoots 3.5″ for waterfowl and turkey. also patterns well with a jellyhead choke and hevi-shot out to 50yds. have friends that shoot them and no problems yet. but buy a gun that fits you and feels good and smooth when you bring it up.

How long have you had your 870 express? I’ve had mine for 9 years now and have not had a single problem. I have an 1187 super mag express also, guys are always saying they are crap and break easily… 2 years of beating waterfowl marshes, chasing turkeys through the woods, and field hunting geese and have not had a single problem.

I probably have 5-6000 shells through the 870 and 2000 through the 1187. No problems yet

henny
    Prescott, WI

i had mine for 3 years and a spring broke keeping it from cycling. brother,causin and buddy all had the same spring problem. its not hard and its cheap to fix i just didnt care for it thats my peference. I tried a sbe after that and the spring went bad fixed it 3 times. said heck with that and got a camo 3.5″ cynergy no problems yet 3 hard years of duck hunting. still shoot the sbe also.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Find a place you can shoot both guns. See which one feels better to you. Both are great guns.

RSN32

Just sold my nova it was a good gun but it was very loose and clanky. It had always bothered me. My opion go with an 870. I liked the ones I have shot no slop in them.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.