Any Back Herniation suffers or healies on IDO?

• jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

I am 33 an had a massive herniation of my L5-S1 and a mild herniation of L-4 about five weeks ago. It has been the most humbuling injury of my life. The nerve that runs down my left leg is 24-7 darting pain, numb, achy, sore etc. The same goes for the lower lumbar area of the back (of coarse). I guess I’m looking for some peoples experience and any tips!! Word of advice… never lift a 27″ boob tube tv up a flight of stairs by yourself!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Excersize and streaching….

DAN J

Been there, L4,L5,S1 back in 1996. Had two surgeries and a spinal fussion. Mine is pretty good most of the time,but if I do to much bending pushing or pulling it comes back.I use a muscle stimulator when it gets bad.If you are lucky enough to get it fixed be very careful not to screw it up.It takes a long time to heal,not much fun. Good luck I feel for you.

stuart
    Mn.

1st is a cortisone shot,then heat and ice packs.Then exercise slowly. DO not just lay about.
    Good luck to you,your life has just changed and not for the better.

David Cindrich

I would recommend a physical therapist to learn proper stretching and muscle building. Then there is no rest for the wicked, stretch and exercise every two hours. Use the pain meds for a tool to execute your stretches and strength building. Get off the meds as soon as you can stand it. Then know in you heart after you are healed you have to continue to stretch and exercise every day to hopefully prolong the next time it may happen again. For me the next time it happened it wasn’t as long healing time.
    Best of luck to ya, it does get better even if it don’t feel that way now.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I blew out c5-c6 while squatting in the gym about 6 years ago. I’m in pain every day. I’m not a fan of the surgery for the cervical spine. Did shots, lots of PT, etc. Not fun.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You do not really know the extent of the damage…The MRI cannot see all the possibilities INSIDE the spinal corridor.
    You may have to have one or multiple laminectomies…
    Get to a good Neorosurgeon NOW! Before you lose nerves forever in your leg(s). The numbmess mean NO or RESTRICTED blood flow due to pressure from the injury.

I had the same injury…ended up with triple laminectomies to clean bone spurs out of my spinal canal.

joemama
    North St Paul

Quote:

I would recommend a physical therapist to learn proper stretching and muscle building. Then there is no rest for the wicked, stretch and exercise every two hours. Use the pain meds for a tool to execute your stretches and strength building. Get off the meds as soon as you can stand it. Then know in you heart after you are healed you have to continue to stretch and exercise every day to hopefully prolong the next time it may happen again. For me the next time it happened it wasn’t as long healing time.
    Best of luck to ya, it does get better even if it don’t feel that way now.

agree had back surgery 18 yrs ago…you can live with it but things have to change..take this [censored] serious or you’ll regret it..if surgery is the path neuro is the only way

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I have full fissure herniations in L4-L5 and L5-S1 and herniation in L3-L4. MRIs are worthless. Only found 1 herniation. Discogram found what was really going on… but was also more painful than anything I have experienced before (they intentionally put pressure/dye into discs to see if you are really in pain). Unfortunately, surgeons won’t do anything other than a 3 level fusion for me.. which I have been putting off for obvious reasons (3 level fusion = seriously stiff). Physical therapy has helped some… though have not been a saving grace for me. Physicians Neck and Back Clinic is about the best available in MN.

Artificial discs are currently in “trial” mode for FDA. Only certain clinics perform them and MOST ALL will not do L5-S1 because it is too dangerous. Stem-Cell Research is promising, but haven’t heard anything specifically being done yet in the US. Definately more options overseas.

Good luck!

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

I had ruptured disc and a herniated disc two years ago. When you have these injuries your body swells to protect it self. The only thing that really helped my case was the prescription for muscle relaxants. This along with proper stretching has kept me off the operating table.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Exercise, stretch, cut out as much sugar and salt in your diet as you can and cut the stress too!…and the main thing is stay active! I have herniated discs in my low back, mid/upper back and neck, not to mention a few bulging discs among it all, i’m 33 years old as well and this back stuff has been going on since I was 27. I’ve been through all the treatments, physical therapy, spinal decompression, numerous chiropractic, doc’s, heck with all the money i’ve spent I could’ve bought a new Ranger boat by now! Non of anything really worked and I refuse to do surgery but I guess it comes down to how your body reacts with the treatments. I got fed up with all the doc’s and chiro’s telling me I had to change careers(plumber) and that I have to give up all the activities that i’ve been doing my whole life and I just happened to come across a book called “Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection. The book gave me a different look on dealing with all the back pain I had and fortunately it has worked for the most part. I play softball three nights a week, I fish as much as I can, play with my three kids and work a lot of hours doing physical labor type jobs. I’m still stiff and sore at times and have an occasional flare up, but I credit that to not being in the best of shape and not eating the healthiest. If I took care of myself a bit better, I know it wouldn’t be bad at all. The human body is made to move and be active.
    Also, find a good massage therapist, that has done more for me than any of the other treatments and seriously, go fishing, its amazing what hooking into a nice walleye or bass can do for pain!

Good Luck
    Bob

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.