Back to school, which laptop?

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I’ve got my eyes on a Mac book pro 13 inch. It will be used mostly for writing papers, anybody using a Mac? Likes, dislikes? Beyond school, I’ll use it for basic surfing, photos, nothing crazy. No gaming. I’m tired of dealing with with Windows, I’m ready for a change.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Mac guy all my life… you will never be disappointed. If there is an Apple store near you, go go there and consider buying it there as well. You may find places offering special extras or something on line, but hooking up with guys at the store with questions and such is worth the time. My wife was totally new to Mac, and took a few of there how to get the most out your mac type of seminars and it really helped with shortcuts, and appreciating things she may never have found on her own.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Up until 2008 I was running PC on everything. Nicole brought a 24″ I-Mac into the home and my work upgraded to 24″ I-Macs as well.

After using both systems (Mac and PC) for 3 years I can say I’m a Mac guy. The Mac Books are rather pricey but they are sweet.

Rob2001
    Savage, MN

If I may ask, what are you going back to school for? I say that because it all depends on your major and some of the classes. I have gone back to school myself and some of the online content and class programs I use are not Mac supported. Best advice is talk with your counselor and see what is recommended for the program.

A couple guys in my classes have Macbooks and had to buy PC’s also in order to get any classwork done.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Good point. Law enforcement associates degree. Mainly just writing papers.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

i currently have a mac and love it….wont have anything but that in the future….find someone who has one and see if they will allow you to play around with it for awhile. ….love the iphoto and imovie …..pricey but you wont be disappointed

igotone

HP with an Intel i-5 processer

U can get a real good one for around 500

watch the sales – most r 200 bucks off

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have a Macbook Pro for work running Windows through Parallels. You might want to check into that too, giving you the option of running Windows when needed.

As a developer whose career has spent time in a lot of Mac shops, I love giving Macheads crap in jest. Same goes for iPhones, because I am a Android guy.

That being said, I like having the best of both worlds.

One issue I have run into that appears to be a very prevalent problem is I get a black screen. Some days are worse than others.

The issue went away a few months ago after an update, but has returned with a vengeance. Last Friday I could barely work because it would randomly go to a black screen 5-6 times.

I assume it is a hardware issue, but reading posts online, it seems Apple and their genius stores are not too helpful. I think that they know what the problem is and are hiding it. I mean, you can’t admit to Mac fan boys and girls that some laptops that they rolled out are actually defective.

I am having the tech guy bring it in this week. We have Apple Care through First Tech in uptown. They’ve normally been pretty good. I am hoping they will swap my hard drive into a new machine and that takes care of the issue.

I’d recommend getting Apple Care through FirstTech, as we have had good service from them. They’ll get my full endorsement if they address this issue. The problem is, like I stated before, many Genius stores have totally blown off the problem. And from some of the posts, I have seen some pretty ridiculous answers from the staff.

Sorry to vent in your thread. Hopefully you find something useful in it like the FirstTech suggestion or running Parallels to give you the best of both worlds.

sandmannd

Macs are pretty hi priced, that’s one thing I don’t like and they are very proprietary on what can be installed and how customizable they are, another thing I don’t like and why I don’t own one or an iPad. I buy something I like to make it how I want it.

I just got a new laptop a few months ago for school. I went with a Toshiba Satellite. It’s a 17.3 in screen. It’s a little heavier than a small laptop but I love having a giant screen and full keyboard. You can get a very good windows laptop for $4-500. I’m in school for programming and there is nothing I can’t do on this laptop that the Mac guys can do.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I currently have a Toshiba satellite. That’s why I want to switch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.