Dead Fish Find

• jslsfish4u
    Cold Spring,MN

Large Fish Kill Discovered Near Leech Lake.
    Reported on WCCO Channel 4 News last nite. Very sad
    Check out CBS Minnesota.com Dec. 02, 2011

jslsfish4u
    Cold Spring,MN

Sorry, didn’t see Bob’s post

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Bad situation. Good to here news media is reporting it. Truth needs to come out.

shady5

This question is possibly overly simplified, but thought provoking nevertheless.

If the number of citizens that disagree with preferential treatment (i.e. netting privileges)for Native Americans exceeds those that agree; shouldn’t the democratic process dictate law? (I’m assuming I could identify a majority in MN with this opinion in about 45 minutes…) The government certainly doesn’t refuse our money (license fees, etc. etc.), so why should utilitarian (greatest good for the greatest number) interests be renounced?

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

I tried twice to post a comment on CBS website. Does not seem to be working for me. WE are all preaching to the choir here . Post comments also on CBS website to let CBS know coverage like this people want to see and know about. Please remember though, that downgrading comments will only isolate us and not educate the others we want to pursuade .

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

IF you recognize sovereignty, then you have the issues more clearly defined.

Treaties we wrote in the 1800s were violated. Clearly. This becomes the sticking point.

Were the indians to renounce their sovereign status, THEN your argument comes to the forefront…

Until then, we’ve just got to shoot arrows at each other…

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

I tried to comment twice also but it wouldnt work!

shady5

Quote:

IF you recognize sovereignty, then you have the issues more clearly defined.

I always enjoy the “Sovereignty” argument, which incidentally, is defined as “freedom of external control”. Logically, it should also imply some semblance of self sufficiency. I can’t ignore the sheer irony of a “sovereign” society that requires so much external help.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

that’s our SCOTUS for you…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Postability seems to be working now…

AND they are notifying me of all comment postings…

GREAT way to get a feel for public sentiment.

shady5

Quote:

that’s our SCOTUS for you…

Duly noted.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

For every pile found, how many go unfound? Man it pi**es me off. What a joke…..

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Don’t internalize that anger. We’re not likely to get resolution on this…

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Unfortunately this has been happening more frequently than reported. People that live in this area see the results of this waste. I have witnessed the nets being set. I have never personally seen the waste, but the neighbors have seen it too often. It is not just Leech being affected, but the smaller bodies of water in this area as well.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

found this on the CCO blog:
    “This happens all the time. I spend a lot of time 4-wheeling in the Chippewa National Forest, and I encounter at least two fish dumps each year, usually late spring, in the Cass Lake/Pike Bay area on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation. With each dump I usually find at least one tan-colored storage or processing tub labeled with the Red Lake Fisheries logo in red ink. (you make the connection, for I have not been able to). Numbers have ranged from 50 to 200 game fish ranging in size from 2 to 10 lbs. I suspect that netters are not checking their nets as frequenty as required, and snagged fish begin rotting before being retrieved for tribe consumption. Instead of leaving excessive kills for predator consumption (eagles, crows, ravens, etc), the evidence is being covertly dumped in the forest and consumed by maggots.”

I don’t understand why the Indians get to net…
    They didn’t have nylon gill nets in 1750…

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

While I was not able to post on CBs, I was able to write to both our DNR and Leech Lake indian reservation conservation officer. Not sure what good it will do , but not saying nothing does absolutely nothing.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Quote:

While I was not able to post on CBs, I was able to write to both our DNR and Leech Lake indian reservation conservation officer. Not sure what good it will do , but not saying nothing does absolutely nothing.

T, Thanks for that I posted today on CBS to post you need to give your name and email to get it posted. Try that.

Thanks again for doing that Thats the answer to this situation. Do something.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Most sites like that you can just throw a dummy email address in there too. Just a tip, pun intended.

Palerider77

I like that the tribal co was “planning” to go look at it, when he gets around to it.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Quote:

I like that the tribal co was “planning” to go look at it, when he gets around to it.

Geez why do you say that. Not true. I talked to him. Again the focus is on the waste not who did it or who’s going to look. OK get it. He said hes going and Ill talk to him and post what he found and any info of the report. I guess thats a start.

I spent alot of time on this issue because of the waste for us and other people, kids, grandkids, so if you want to do something call your Gov officals and do something other than blog something that isnt true. Just do your part.

Now I know how Steve Fellegy feels.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.