Trip planning – where in the midwest for SMB’s

• Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

So…… This year marked the first year where I took a legitimate “fishing only” vacation for a week. After a week in Tennessee, I’m already thinking this should be an annual occurrence.

The question is: Where and when for the best smallmouth trip? I’ve narrowed it down (ha ha) to Sturgeon/Green bay, Port Clinton/Sandusky lake Erie, or Dunkirk NY. Since this encompasses pretty much the entire great lakes region, I’m looking for people to weigh in on where and when would give me the best chance at big numbers with at least a chance at a big fish.

I’ll be fishing from an 18′ bass boat, so that’s a consideration – an early death doesn’t sound like much fun, unless I’m catching 5 pounders hand over fist when it happens.

Mixing in some perch fishing wouldn’t hurt either.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Gianni

Take a trip to Mille Lacs in the summer months… There are some truly monster smallies in the pond

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Agreed, you will have a hard time beating the pond for numbers and giant smallies.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Plus, you can catch all the fish you want mere feet from shore if the wind is up. Red Door resort is all you need to know.

stuart
    Mn.

Mille Lacs.Then if you get blown off the pond you can do a short drive over to the upper Miss and shore fish for some BIG river smallies.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

In WI Chequamegon Bay and Green Bay have some big’ens

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I mainly chase smallies while out fishing and I personally have fished Mille Lacs, Rainy and Chequamegon Bay. I would recommend any of those as a world class destination.
    You could easily handle them with your boat.
    There are many quality guides that work those waters that you could hire for a day to really shorten your learning curve.
    If you have any questions about those lakes, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Ron

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have been to Lake Erie at Sandusky, Detroit River, Lake St. Clair, Big Bay/Little Bay De Noc, and Sturgeon Bay/ Green Bay. Of all those places I think the most fun you’re going to have is in either Sturgeon/Green Bay or Bays de Noc. Mille Lacs sounds like fun, but once you fish the Great Lakes, nothing compares. This year our club fished Sturgeon Bay first week in June. In the Sturgeon/Little Sturgeon Bay area, the fish were locked on beds and sight fishing was a hoot. I had 20 lbs 6 oz for my best 5 and took 4th. To the north where the water was cooler there was still a jerkbait bite, the tournament was won with 24 lbs up there. Bays de Noc are a little further north and a couple hours extra drive, but might be worth it. I have been there only once but the quality of fish up there is exceptional, and the water is amazingly clear. Its a really special place to fish. Regardless of where you go, the best time to catch a true GIANT would be from 2nd week in May to 2nd Week in June. From what I was told when we were at Sturgeon Bay, we had a great bite but the locals told us that the truly “BIG” (6+ lbers) fish had already moved off the beds by that time. So if you want to catch the real giants make sure you hit them when they’re still prespawn.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Sturgeon Bay late May early June. Big water but with spawn fish will be shallow. Even on a windy day shouldnt be a problem getting protected areas. (ie Little Sturgeon)

6lbers…. Heck you might even boat an 8!!!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is how I would invest my money. I’ve fished all over the great lakes and have made pilgrimages to these destinations for years. But that’s the key, years of finding isolated spots that hold bigger fish than others.

#1 Detriot River – My number one spot for bags well over 26#. Not spawn fish, but mid summer through fall. Out from Elizabeth Park, you have access to Erie, The river, and St. Clair. Easy to rack up a big fuel bill with some long runs. But as the wind blows, there is always a place to fish that produces huge fish.

#2 Door County – Sturgeon Bay is the most common named bay to be fished. Years ago, huge bags were caught there, even throughout the summer. I don’t see as many 7#+ fish caught up there as in the years past. But there is a very healthy population of 3# and up fish. There are a lot of phanomanal spots in and around other bays in Door County that will out produce S.B. for big fish. Unfortunately, many of these spots can be spread out, and make for some long runs by boat. Trailering is easier and you can hit a number of different bays (lake or G.B. side) in a single day. Touristy up there, and it has its moments

#3 Chequamegon Bay – A work horse, producing a lot of 3-5# fish. I’ve caught a lot of fish in the 4 to 5# range up there, but not as many over 5 as Erie or D.C.. Either of the 3 places are awesome fisheries in their own right. You may want to put a little more time into studying which has the bite your after, or is best suited to your style of fishing.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Randy, there were seven 7lb+ fish caught in one open tournament two springs ago.

Those fish are there buddy believe it, timing is everything and knowing what your doing helps. Fished quite a bit out there in 2010 and did not catch anything over 5. But lots of solid 4’s. Just looking at those weights and pictures makes me want to take the boat back out of storage!

GBB Open

fygr8

Round Lake, Sawyer County. Smallmouth have taken over in numbers and size. Each fish you bring in will have 3 or 4 following it. 20″ is very common.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Be sure to include Little & Big Bays de Noc on your list of places to check out.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Randy, there were seven 7lb+ fish caught in one open tournament two springs ago.

Those fish are there buddy believe it, timing is everything and knowing what your doing helps. Fished quite a bit out there in 2010 and did not catch anything over 5. But lots of solid 4’s. Just looking at those weights and pictures makes me want to take the boat back out of storage!

GBB Open

Nic, if you want to take a serious look at the over-all population / size, look past the spring and ask how many 7# fish are caught in July, Aug, and Sept. I’m not saying the Door isn’t a great place to fish…heck, I’ve spent thousands of dollars over the years to fish up there. Made three trips this year of 2011. Caught a lot of 4’s a few 5’s and topped the ’11 season there with a fish over 6#. Been fishing the Door since mid 80’s and I believe I know what I’m doing. My point was just that if I was chasing a trophy (which for me is a 9#+ fish) I would go to Erie first. Per hour spent on the water, I average a lot bigger fish in certain areas of Erie than Door County. Either way, someone could easily have a trip of a lifetime on either body of water.

skeeterbite
    illinois

Im with you, ive been going to rainy lake, staying at birch point resort, for years. The ARMY TANKS we get are awsome.Also while fishing for smallies you will get youre fill of BIG WOLVES (northerns in the 20# class) and some real great walleyes. My moneys on RAINY

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t a clue on where to go.

Just wanted to say HI! Gianni!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks to all who replied, especially you Brian, since wherever I go, I expect you to show up and provide the entertainment. I’ll throw a few small (~4lb) channel cats in the rear livewell and you can drop a line in there while the rest of us are chasing bronzebacks.

With my girl graduating from HS the last weekend in May, I’m guessing I’m looking at departure no earlier than 11 June. Would Chequamegon bay be far enough behind Door county that the fish would still be pre-spawn?

After all the replies, I’m thinking Chequamegon bay, with Round lake mixed in if the weather doesn’t cooperate with big water fishing. If the third week of June is “too late” for primetime, maybe I’ll have to rethink this whole plan.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

With my girl graduating from HS the last weekend in May,

Dude, you are getting to be an old man!

Glad to see you back looking to fish!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.