SNOW BLOWER

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello –

So if you guys were purchasing a new 2 stage snowblower what kind would you purchase? I know Toro is obviously the leader but they also cost $1,000 which is way too expensive for a snow blower. Looking for some input on Craftsman(Sears), Cub Cadet, Poulan Pro, Yard Machines, etc. Thanks!

bassmaster
    SE, MN

I had a yard machine and was very happy with it. It was 8hp and went threw anything I threw at it. I only sold it because I put a snow blower on my garden tractor and didn’t need it anymore. If I did buy another walk behind I would have no problem buying another yard machine. A little advice to you is be sure to run a fuel stabilizer all the time in any snow blower and stay away from ethanol fuels. If you do both those thing what ever you buy will run alot better and last longer. Also buy the highest hp or cc. snow blower you can afford you won’t regret it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Honda powered

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’ve had good luck with Ariens and I’m pretty hard on them.

8hp 24″ is what I have now.

Al

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I’ve also had good luck with my 8 HP 24″ Ariens. It’s a great machine for the money.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I would avoid Craftsman. I had one for the last 3 years and it was worthless. The main problem I had was when the auger area would fill up the sides would flex out and the auger would pop out of the seats. It is not fun getting a 2 stage auger5 back in the seats. In mu opinion their products have went down hill due to using cheap materials. You could not flex the sides on my fathers old orange blower. The thing ran great and is still running. The sides on the craftsman were thinner than a dime. It’s like a car you can get a bad one so maybe I got that one, but I’m done with them. This year we got a Toro!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I wouldn’t put Toro anywhere near the top of the leader board and I’d avoid MTD/Yard Machines.

In order of perference, I’d suggest:

1. Honda

2. Tie between Snapper and Simplicity

3. Ariens

4. John Deere

Whatever you do, make sure you get a machine with either a Honda or a Briggs engine. Many of the Big Box retailers are now selling brand name snowblowers, but with generic Chinese engines. Avoid at all costs! A good machine will last 20+ years if it’s maintained properly. Good luck finding a carb kit for you Wong Dong engine when you need it in 2015. Home Despot isn’t going to help you.

The only downside I see to a Honda is the price both of the snowblower itself and then the price of every part thereafter. They don’t break often, but when they do then every part is about double what I’d pay for the same part for a different machine. Example: Belts for a Honda (the last time I bought them) were $70 each. And no, I’ve tired to find a generic but the combination of width and length doesn’t exist except as a Honda OEM.

The plus on a Honda is that it’s a Honda. I’ve used Hondas for hundeds of hours and I’ve never had to fix a Honda engine itself. If you wear out a Honda, you should be hiring the job out.

Both Simplicity and Snapper have been great machines for me. My 20+ year old Snapper with the Tecumseh Snow King is like the Energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going. Neighbors bought a Snapper 3 or so years ago and it’s a monster.

I know two people at work who bought Ariens and both said they have been great machines. But buy from an Ariens dealer and not from Home Depot as I would never trust that the HD machines are the same as the ones you get from a dealer.

Last thing is to be sure to buy the right size machine. A snowblower has to throw hundreds of pounds of snow per minute and it throws many tons of snow per season, so whimpy light-duty machines simply will not last. Of all the yard machines, the snowblower is the one you don’t want to have break down on you in the middle of the season.

Grouse

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I checked out most of them last year before I bought John Deere! I wanted something built like a tank. John Deere is the only one I seen that has a cast iron gear box and ball bearings on the auger shafts. I liked the electric chute control and heated handwarmers. I bought the 10 hp w/the 28″chute. By the way a 10hp John Deere will wind up 45 ft of a 50ft garden hose before it will kill the motor. No damage to the machine though! LOL!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Bought an Ariens last year and have been happy with it. I agree with not buying from Home Depot. Bought mine from a dealer.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

By the way a 10hp John Deere will wind up 45 ft of a 50ft garden hose before it will kill the motor. No damage to the machine though! LOL!

Yeah. An 8 HP Snapper will totally suck up a 4 foot door mat that cost $100.

I mean, so I’ve heard. It didn’t happen to me, obviously. I’d never be that stupid, no way, I’d remember to move the the damn door mat first, okay, so stop freaking bringing it up, would you?

Grouse

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Quote:

Quote:

By the way a 10hp John Deere will wind up 45 ft of a 50ft garden hose before it will kill the motor. No damage to the machine though! LOL!

Yeah. An 8 HP Snapper will totally suck up a 4 foot door mat that cost $100

I mean, so I’ve heard. It didn’t happen to me, obviously. I’d never be that stupid, no way, I’d remember to move the the damn door mat first, okay, so stop freaking bringing it up, would you?

Grouse

Nate Siebrecht
    Oronoco, mn

I just purchased a Ariens Deluxe 28 briggs powered for $999. Looked at toro and others there just made of to much plastic. They also have a Compact 24 for $799. This is my input but i think Ariens makes real nice and dependable blower.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Love my ariens 520

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Looked at toro and others there just made of to much plastic.

My thought, too.

Quote:

They also have a Compact 24 for $799.

Ariens Compact 24 is what I have

mojogunter

I have a simplicity pro series with a 14.5 ft/lb of torque motor, and the thing is a beast. Replaced a toro 622 that worked fine for 11 years and then started to need to have parts replaced. No comparision between the two. My only complaint would be that it throws the snow too far, and if I’m not careful the snow will land in neighbors driveways on both sides.

hanson

I have a Honda 828 that I purchased used from a family friend. I honestly had no idea what these things sold for new when I bought it but I do now… crazy! Mines probably 15 years old.

I really do love the thing. It blows snow a mile and I really like the Hydrostatic drive (no gears).

If I ever have to buy a new one, thats gonna be a tough decision… probably have to be another Honda though.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

I just purchased a Ariens Deluxe 28 briggs powered for $999. Looked at toro and others there just made of to much plastic. They also have a Compact 24 for $799. This is my input but i think Ariens makes real nice and dependable blower.

Bought an Ariens 824 in 1989. Still runs like champ and the only thing I have ever done is replace an $18 belt and a few shear pins.

deertracker

I bought a Craftsman Professional series 3 years ago. I have a very large driveway that is gravel and had had no issues. I was a little concerned with the plastic chute and a gravel driveway, but it still looks new. I would buy another.
    DT

markmoran
    Rochester MN

I researched quite a bit and for the money I chose the Poulan Pro. I have been very happy with that purchase. Works well, only complaint is I wish I had gone bigger. Get the biggest you can afford. These last few years with the heavy wet 10″ of snow it is tough. Always make it through just need to go slower with smaller intakes of snow. MORE POWER!

buck-slayer

Alias Chalmers, theres one for sale in the classifieds.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Honda powered

I had an HS724 and while that thing would blow snow over the next door neighbors house, The engine blew up on it twice. The first time was just out of warranty. I now run an Ariens. If you aren’t in much of a hurry, check out the Compact 20. Its a smaller 2 stage blower for about 600 bucks and does a pretty good job.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How big of an area are you clearing? That makes a big difference.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

I bought a 24 inch 9 HP Craftsman about 7 years ago, only been through a couple shear pins. and bought it in the “low snow year” so only paid 299.99 for it on clearance and electric start is a bonus. makes life easier (not sure if every model is this way now). other wise no problems with the machine and parts it self.

The wet nasty slush is about the only issue for me. otherwise I am normally doing 4 driveway’s during snow falls for the last 7 years with it as 1 guy like to snow mobile, but the wife does not. 1 family is older and has a special needs child and the the last one is a x-ray tech and always on call. so i would definately say it has been used and abused.

bigggest thing is make sure you check the oil, I run seafoam in every tank ( as I see others use stabil). just make sure the maintenenace is done before during and after the season. and that should nmake you hopefully happy with what you and your pocketbook decide.

Also like others said this is the last machine you wnat breaking down during the season.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

If money were no object, I’d like one of these

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

If money were no object, I’d like one of these

Have you ever used one of the track machines? What did you thikn.

I’m interested because they seem in theory like a great idea because I have a hill that wheeled blowers struggle to get up, but the one guy I know that actually had one (a Honda) hated the thing. His complaints were that it was too hard to turn around, it didn’t “freewheel” so it was hard to move it around the garage without starting it, and finally he said the traction didn’t live up to his expectations. He has a steep driveway (asphalt) and he just did not bond with that tracked blower and he ended up trading it on a Simplicity commercial wheeled blower after only about 3 years.

Just wondering if others had a different view on the tracked units?

Grouse

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Have you ever used one of the track machines?

No, I have always been blessed with flat driveways.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.