Mississippi River Pool 2 get together.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There has been some talk on the web site about having a fishing get together and after talking with Drewsdad (joel) we decided to put one together for pool 2 on Saturday Oct 1. So here it is.

Plans are to have a CPR fishing contest starting in the morning. Then cooking some food and socializing afterwards on the island at Lion Levee in St Paul Park.

As far as the fishing contest goes here are some basic details on it. We still have to finalize a few things but have plenty of time between now and then to get this done.

Launch site…. Lions Levee.

Start time…..8am

Finish ……2pm. We wanted a short contest to allow time to gather the photos, measurements, present the winner and cook some food afterwards.

We still need to work out the details on the format and entry fee. The contest will need to be catch, photo, release. Entry fee will be small. We will get more details up on this later this week.

Oct 1 sound be a good time for this on the river. With any luck we will be in the middle of prime fall walleye fishing on pool 2. As far as the fishing contest goes we are looking to have a low key event that offers some laid back fun but still competitive enough to get the more die hard anglers involved. If you have fished pool 2 before it will be great to see you again at this event. If you have never been on the river before we also look forward to meeting you to and will be more than willing to help get you steered in the right direction out on the water.

So far Joel and I are heading this event up. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or send us a PM. We will get more details up later this week.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Great idea! I’ll be there as far as I can predict, let me know if you need a hand. Catfish count, correct?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Catfish are a negative 1. Walleye and sauger are the plans for the contest. Cats dont bite during the day anyways.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Think you might have an extra boat and gear available??? We’ll be driving back from WY antelope hunting on that Friday prior. Just might be there in time for take off

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since cats don’t count…

…are we welcome to come when we wake up…about 2 pm?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Great spot for a get together! Pleanty of room to beach boats off main channel. Plenty of parking, etc. Google “Lions Levee Park” for directions and park info.

I’m looking forward to it!

-J.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Since cats don’t count…

Heck BK, let’s stay up later and get breakfast at the Park Cafe and then see the guys off? I’ll show you a secret spot by a different train bridge than usual.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Walleye and sauger are the plans for the contest.

Sheephead don’t count?

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

Rootski

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Randy:

How many with you on the trip? Someone can fish with me! Maybe more than 1 if allowed!

ET

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’m in….is there a handicap for having the smallest slowest boat on P2….my boat goes less than half as fast as Pete’s boat.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yay! I’m off work that day, I should be able to go. I make absolutely sure before I commit to any help or duties.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Since cats don’t count…

They are just afraid is all…

we could always crash the party, and drink all their beer…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If you cant make it for the contest in the morning just show up when you can. Should still be a good day of fishing and we should start cooking food around 2-230.

roscoe
    So St Paul

Sounds great, unless i have to work, but i am pretty sure i will be there

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Great idea! I have been looking for an opportunity to meet some other folks who fish pool 2. Count me in!

Drew

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I’m in….is there a handicap for having the smallest slowest boat on P2….my boat goes less than half as fast as Pete’s boat.

If there’s a speed handicap, We’re takin’ Dad’s boat

Maybe I’ll just bring a lawnchair and cooler, I’ve done well fishing that dam right off the island

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Randy:

How many with you on the trip? Someone can fish with me! Maybe more than 1 if allowed!

ET

It’ll be just Olivia (my youngest) and myself. Should have a few antelope if someone has a grill

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Thanks Mike for getting this rolling. I was supposed to put up the post today; but I have been nowhere near a computer all day long. Sounds like we have some interest!
    Like Mike said, any questions shoot us a pm and we will have the details up soon. Mike and I as the organizers
    are not going to participate in the tourney; but we will still probably fish a little. And since the first saturday in October was traditionally duck hunting opener, the weather should be absolutely gorgeous with temps in the 60’s and blue skies.

Joel

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Randy:

Let’s stay in touch on this. I will put it in our calendar and I’ll know closer to the date if there will be any conflicts.

Eric

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is a Google map to Lion Levee in St Paul park.
    Lion Levee Map

Here is a video I found on You Tube of Lion Levee. Looks like it was taken in the fall about the same time we will be having the get together. The park is very nice. Lots of parking. Double landing on a back channel with a dock. We will get our activities set up out on the island that the walking bridge goes to so we will basically be right on the water.
    Lion Levee Video

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Hey Rootski…..Got room in the boat??

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Hey Rootski…..Got room in the boat??

Yes sir!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Here is Fred and his dog Coby, Kobie, Koby…. The dog didn’t tell me how to spell the name. Fred got this 21″ walter today and one other. I managed one too. It was a beautiful day on the river with a touch of fall in the air and a promise of better fishing to come! Thanks for taking me fishing Fred!

Joel

pullintubes

Sounds very interesting. Can you give me some details on the photos and measuring and the whole process? Cause I’m all about pool 2!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Pullintubes! We will have the rules up sometime in the next week. It will be a Catch/Photo/Release tourney. So you need a camera in the boat and a measuring device and a pic of your fish on the measuring device. We are still working on details and want input. So shoot Mike or myself a pm with ideas and/or questions. Or just post them on the forum. Thanks!

Joel

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is a link to a Pool 2 report from over the weekend. Walleye fishing wasnt fantastic as it can be but looks like everyone got into a few fish. Sounds like a few guys even got into some nice flurries of action. I would expect the bite to just keep getting better as the month goes on. Should start seeing signs of these fishing putting on some weight by then to.

A few ideas we have for the contest so far are…

Total length measurement for each teams 5 longest fishing.

Teams to consist of 2 person or 3 person teams.

Fishing time 8am to 2pm. This will allow some time to cook food in the afternoon and socialize.

Payout to top three teams.

Entry fee under $20 per person to stay with in DNR regs.

Possible big fish pot.

Joel and I should have most of the details worked out this week and put a post up on it next Sunday or Monday. Send Joel or myself a PM if you have any ideas you would like to see in the contest.

As far as food goes for after the contest we are looking at a pot luck where everyone just brings a item or 2. About a week before the get together we will start a post on what every one is going to bring so we dont all show up with the same stuff. The park does have a few picnic tables and basic coal grills for cooking on but I think we will try to get a extra table and grill or down down there to use.

Should be a good time. Like I said before everyone is welcome. Doesnt mater if you fished the river or pool 2 before or not. It would be good to meet you and as far as the fishing goes Joel and I will be there to help get you steered in the right direction out on the water to find some fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Joel and I will have rules and info about the contest up later today. Should be a good event and hope to see many of you there. If the bite on the river stays as good as this weekend there should be lots of fish caught to.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.