white ash lake and area???

• flatheadsareus

I will be taking a vacation to white ash lake in two weeks and was wondering if anyone has ever fished the lake and what I should expect. I also was wondering if the apple river is fishable right before it drains into the lake. Any information would greatly help. Thank you!

jhalfen

White Ash is two lakes connected by a short, shallow strecth of the Apple River. I used to fish these lakes quite a bit. They feature good fishing for panfish, bass, and pike.

Upper white ash is heavily weeded throughout, and used to be (and likely still is) harvested regularly to allow for boat traffic. Lower white ash has weeds around the perimeter but is open in the middle. Structure is simple: there is none (or almost none) except for the weedlines. Fish those with your favorite presentations and you’ll do fine. Don’t be afraid to drift across the basin of the lower lake for crappies during midday. The river below lower white ash is boatable, for a little while at least; I never ventured up the river except for going into the upper lake.

Have fun and let us know how you did!

flatheadsareus

Half the time I will be on a boat and half the time I wont be, are there any areas I could hit on shore do you think? Or would it be too weedy? Also, did you have alot of luck on spinnerbaits and topwater baits at all, because thats about all I am figuring on taking, possibly some twisters and tubes as well. Thanks for your help!

jhalfen

The only public land on the shore that I know of is at the landings. As far as I recall, there aren’t any parks or other similar areas.

I fished the lakes out of a cabin on the lower lake, east shore. We fished off the dock all the time, the dock extended to just beyond the weedline so fishing was actually quite easy.

I think topwaters, spinnerbaits, tubes and other plastics would be good choices for gamefish. We did a lot of panfishing with bettle spins along the weed edges.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.