Update on Winnie

• tbates1385

What a gorgeous weekend on Winnie. A few showers but they were gone in 10 minutes. Fishing is really picking up. The walleye are still in shallow and still on the small side but we kept 10 over 12 inches. We stayed close to the shore – most of the time in 6-7 feet of water and next to the weedline this week versus on top of it last week. Did not seem to matter what you through – leech, minnow or crawler. The perch activity is always good in that area.
    The northern activity is very good with lots of crank baits being tossed their way. Saw a number of 8+ lb’er in the cleaning shack.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Tim,
    Thanks for the update, as we did manage to find some better fish out in the middle on Saturday, it sure seems that most of the mid-lake humps are slow going, with at least most of them showing very little for numbers. It looks like the shoreline bite will be the best choice again this week, maybe we are looking at the start of an excellent fall shallow water bite. Patterns from the past indicate that it may repeat itself again this year…to early to tell but I hope it will be the case.

tbates1385

There was some frustration in the bite this weekend – lots of missed catches. I cannot remember loosing so many minnows to light bite as we did this weekend. Even with crawlers it was a fairly common event to pull up less than half a crawler and never know you had a bite. Diane got a northern that she thought was a weed – now that is a light bite.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

As good as the crankbait bite was for us at the end of last week im really looking forward to Labor Day weekend. I’m thinking that bite should be even better then……but we’ll see.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I’m planning to go up to Winnie for my first time at the end of September and will be counting the days. I hear Sept. is a good time for wallys near the Cut Foot area. I also hear good things about perch and crappies. There’s one guyin the group looking for muskies. I believe the state record came from there, but usually don’t hear too much about them – how is the population?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

tbates1385

As mentioned earlier I have been fishing Winnie since 1975. Over those years I have always stayed at Bowen Lodge – primarialy because of the outstanding accomidations – but also because of the access to Winnie and Cut Foot. The movement of fish from Winnie to Cut Foot produces a great fall bite. It looks that there will be no dissappointment this year. An educated guess would say the fall bite will come about sooner than later – maybe as early as the Labor Day Weekend.
    Hope you enjoy your week on the two lakes – good thing one does not have to choose between the two but rather can easily enjoy both.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.