Things Slowly heat up along the shorelines

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

The mid lake humps are still holding some good numbers, but the shorelines seem to be holding some better fish right now. It seems to be a on one day and off the next. The choice of presentation along the shoreline is jigs with minnows or spinners and crawlers. Look for those area most concentrated with weeds and work both inside and outside edges along with right in them, at the very least it will be an action bite.
    The perch or magnum perch have begun to show up in the middle of the lake so for the next month or so we will see some great perch fishing day in and out.
    The northern action continues to heat up with the shorelines producing some good numbers on rattle baits and stick baits either trolling or casting them. See ya out there…

tbates1385

Sean
    You fished the wrong day this weekned. Sunday morning was pretty slow but Sunday afternoon really picked up. Got a 7lb northern Saturday afternoon. Phil and I went out Sunday morning and got a few northerns and a few perch. Sunday afternoon we hit the walleye- keeping 4 and dumping three back. Still lots of northern action and few perch. Never moved off the spot where you last saw me on Saturday. Again very shallow – under 7 feet and right on the top of the vegetation,

Tim

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well thats good to know, We did find a bunch of fish in the afternoon in front of the resort, infact I used your Trailer for my marking point, we were straight out from there, deep weeds with jigs again. Well are you making it up again this weekend? I’ll be out there on Saturday forsure, the other tripa this week are on Pokegama….

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

The shorline bite is holding on, but the wind will be the main player on where the bite will be the best. The wind sweep shorelines along with the wind blown ones are working the best. The jigs and minnows are working well, but don’t count out the spinner, leech /crawlers combination as well. The main lake humps are holding some fish, but they are very unpredictable as to what humps or bars are going to have fish day in and out right now.
    Salamie and Rebel bar are showing some consistent life of those magnum perch. The midlake action should pick up again, I hope it does anyways, those weeds are tough on the bait.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Well, my first trip ever to Winnie was a good one. I fished there last weekend. I figured it would be full of northern, and it is, but I didn’t expect to catch the bass that I did. Lots of 3 – 5 lbers. Spinnerbaits were the key there. They came off reeds/rice beds at the entrance to 3rd river flowage. Found the perch pretty thick on Sugar bar using a jig and minnow. Excellent lake overall and I’m sure I’ll be back soon.

Mark

tbates1385

Mark
    You just discovered one of the secrets some of us have known for many years – if the walleye’s are a little slow there are other species to keep us entertained. That is also the beauty of having Cuitfoot attached to Winnie – the fishing is not dependent on the big lake being calm enough to navigate.
    Many of us have known this secret for 30+ years so please don’t tell anyone

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

For immediate and consistent action, try speed-trolling from Sugar to Mallard in about 9 feet of water! Couldn’t keep the pike off the line!

Mark

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Along with the west shoreline, the North shore from Stoney point down to the rock pile is a great area for the pike as well. Did you get a chance to fish walleyes at all. If so did you have any luck? The bite has been a little more difficult the last few weeks, at least for the 14-17 inch fish, fish smaller then 14 are easy to come by. That is awesome bass fishing, that is one fish that is rarely fished on Winnie, so its good to here there is another specie that is growing strong on the lake. Thanks for the report…

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

We tried jigging minnows and pulling spinner/minnow combos for a few hours on some mid-lake reefs with one walleye boated out from Stoney Point. Lots of perch, though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.