North Shore Late Season???

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was planning a trip to Lutsen in mid-october and would like to bring the boat just in case we get some nice weather. Between now and the end of october, what would be a better time to head up there to catch some salmon and lakers?

I picked up a couple used downrigger rods and am planning on using dipsey divers if need be. What depths would the fish be hanging out? Also, where should I go out of for my best bet to catch some nice fish?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Lakers close at the end of September so you’ll have to target salmon or loopers/steelhead. While I finish up my adventures on the big drink in late September and use the riggers then, I have the trout to go deep for. Most of my salmon at the end of September that I encounter are higher in the water column, so by mid-October you may not need to get hyper deep. I’ve haven’t fished beyond the end of Sept, so this is pretty much speculation on my part. I do know that I haven’t taken any salmon deeper than 40 feet or so late in that month.

When we are looking for salmon we usually turn to the river mouths during low light periods or days when its cloudy. Salmon runs are pretty dependant on water in the rivers. If the rivers are not running, the salmon tend to stack at the deltas, sometimes cruise along the shores. What I have noticed as far as loopers goes is that if the salmon can get in the rivers, the loopers are not far off and an occasion bonus fish will hit.

The last couple weeks of September are nuts for trout as a rule and is my favorite of all trips to the shore I make.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thanks for the info.

I may have to make a trip up there in September then. Is the fishing better the farther north you go? Say, Grand Marais or farther?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

From all I am hearing from my buddies who get to fish the pond more than I do…the lakers are tearing it up near Silver aby RIGHT NOW! 4 freinds of mine are heading out as I type this. I am going tomorrow after the honey do’s are done today.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wade,

Did you make it up to Silver Bay? If so, how’d you do?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Didnt make it up that far, as the forcast was for winds to pick up on monday. I did however fish the south shore out of Superior. As forcasted, got blown off by noon, but before that I caught 1 keeper walleye, 2 shorts, lost 3 boatside, and finished the day in deeper water with 1- 22″ laker.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.