steelhead

• jcira

I am new to the midwest. I have read some articles about fishing steelhead on Superiors feeder rivers. Does anyone have any knowledge of guides for that type of fishing? Also, I have eard of fishing salmon off of the jetties, any help there, where, time of year? Not looking for honeyholes, just a place to start my research.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

There isnt much for steelhead fishing in lake superior. There is plently of Kamloops fishing to be had however. Many of the creeks and rivers will get quite a few Kamloops moving in the early sping. Its similar to steelhead fishing.. spawn sacks, or crappie jigs under a bobber.

I am not up to date on water leve up there right now. I understand its low. I would focus my attention on the deeper rivers, or any of the river mouths along the shore.

As for salmon fishing these days.. the boats have the most luck. The occasional mixed bag of fish can be caught on spoons off the two harbors break wall.

Someone from the area should be able to chime in with more help on the area.

col._klink
    St Paul

I would have to agree with Dave. Steelies are mainly caught out on the big lake. Off shore. Loopers are pretty easliy caught from shore with spoons and with live bait in my experience. The salmon are also caught off shore in anywhere from 30′ to 100′ of water. If your looking for info Fishaolic lives in the area and might give you some ideas. I know laker fishing for me last year was decent.

Good Luck!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Yes, steelhead are not very abundant, but there are plenty of Cohos, Lake trout, Kings, Pinks, etc….Fishing at the mouth of the rivers will pick up soon once the ice melts. The levels of most of them need to come up from runnoff to allow the run upstream.

Right now most fish are being caught with jigging spoons while ice fishing. The big lake is frozen with 6-8″ near the Lester iver. The bay by Ashland (I cant spell it) is hot right now, as a matter of fact, I am heading there today. BTW by Ashland there is enough ice to drive on.

jcira

Thanks for all the info guys. The only other question that I would have is if you know of a tackle shop in the area that I can call to check when the ice breaks up. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I just recently moved my family here from the west coast, so I have a lot of learning to do about the fishing here.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Hey guys:

Don’t they have a reasonable run of steelies on the south shore (Wisconsin side). I always understood that the Bois Brule, Cranberry, Flag, Sioux in Chequamegon Bay, etc., had decent runs of fish… I haven’t been up there in a long time, so maybe those runs are gone.

Mark

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

yes, the streams you mention have a “decent” run but from my understanding its pretty tough going. Gimme a day or two and I’ll see if I can find out a bit more.

Look up MARINE GENERAL in Duluth, MN they can give you a good idea on ice out, tackle etc…

jim_hudson
    Bayfield, WI

Bank

For steelhead, their numbers have definately improved over the years… From stringent regulations in both the streams and in the lake itself… Overall, I would say fishing for them can be good to fair overall…

The best river to concentrait your efforts around is the Brule, she has the largest run of steelies.. But with that, it also gets the most pressure. Not saying you wont be able to tie into a few fish though.. Just have to work to find spots that are not that accessible for other fishers not wanting to work for a fish… Other streams here on the south shore that were mentioned also do get runs… The Sioux, Fish Creek, Pikes, Cranberry, etc etc do get some fish in them…

For ice out conditons.. You can keep up to date on my website if you wish (see my profile)… One bait shop in the area here is Outdoor Allure. The owner, Craig Putchat, is very friendly and helpful…

jcira

Thanks for all the help guys. Jim, do you also guide open water? Or just through the ice? I still have a lot to learn about this midwest fishing, but it sure is fun. I certainly don’t have much local knowledge, but if you ever need info on So. Cal. tuna or Mexico….

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

In the last few years the population has really come up on the North Shore also. Probably the best Steelhead fishing in over 15 tears or so as far as I’m concerned. Baptism, Temperence, and Poplar rivers have all been better than average in recent years. I might be making a run up there in the next few weeks if time permits and will post how we do.

eye_hunter

hey, you know that the fishing is good but according to my understanding you can only keep the fish with the clipped dorsal fin. what are the chances of keeping a fish if this is true. and also isn’t it illegal to fish for species that are out of season. i beliive the trout season has not started yet. but keep in mind i am a new fisherman. and this is all that i know of. if I am wrong in anything i wrote please clarify it so that i will know what is right. thanks.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

My brother was up fishing on the North Shore yesterday. There’s still ice chunks coming down the rivers and they might still be a little cold to get the fish moving in. He didn’t catch anything and fished the rivers from Duluth up to the Baptism.

jimmy wallner
    St. Paul, Minnesota

Water to cold and they need some rain to get them running.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

hey, you know that the fishing is good but according to my understanding you can only keep the fish with the clipped dorsal fin. what are the chances of keeping a fish if this is true. and also isn’t it illegal to fish for species that are out of season. i beliive the trout season has not started yet. but keep in mind i am a new fisherman. and this is all that i know of. if I am wrong in anything i wrote please clarify it so that i will know what is right. thanks.

from what I have heard, all loopers are cliped and some steelhead are cliped cliped fish means that the DNR raised them longer to relese them for harvest the non cliped ones were relesed in the upper streches of the river to smolt on their own.as for the season and fishing for them, the lake and the tributaries up to the posted upstream boundary is open to fishing all year long except for estuaries that are marked and closed to fishing year round. however I do belive that there is a brown trout season along wiht a lake trout season that implies for more info refer to the regs book page 20

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.