The time is now

• fishahollik
    South Range, WI

If you want to get out on the big lake for trout thru the ice, the time is now. We have had three weeks of good ice making temps. They are driving on the bay in Ashland and here in Duluth/Superior. Ice is walkable out on the big lake as far north as the Lester river. Not sure how long it will last with the next weeks worth of temps they are predicting.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That brings back memories of the days i went smelting on the lester right at the mouth. I don’t know if they let limits go like they used too on how much smelt you could catch but we used to get them by the garbadge can full and only a few hours to get that amount. I heard theres limits now. The waters amazingly clear in superior.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

BTW, this is the last weekend for walleyes in the big lake on either sideof the border till May.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

fish:

Isn’t walleye open on the Chequamegon year ’round???

Mark

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I was reffering to the St Louis bay…not sure about the Cheq. I need to get the rulebook out.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

fish:

That makes sense. I know we have done spring break trips to Ashland because it was open. Looking forward to trying to fish the St. Louis this spring, when does it open back up again??? I’ve heard that the spring run is a little later ’cause of Superior’s water temps. If we get over there, maybe there will be room in the Lund for an extra…

Mark

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I believe “opener” this year is May 12th. I know the St Louis is a boundary water, but the WI and MN openers coincide on this piece of water.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

fish:

I know you just moved up there recently. Did you fish the St Louis at all last year???

Mark

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Twice. I fished “opener” and got nothing but wet. Again once around June 15th. Caught 5 eyes trolling, 3 were too small. Not much luck with my favorite presentation, jigging.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Just got off the phone with friends who are fishing right now. They started in on the channel close to the coal docks and got two walleyes and a guy right next to them got an ‘eye 29-30″ long. They moved to find clearer water and now have another ‘eye on the ice and two cohos. They are in 26’ of water and west of the main group off the lightnouse.

Wish I could have gone today or even tomorrow, but I can’t as I set up to repack bearing on the boat trailer, then off to fish a little private lake with large pans on the ice.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Cool link, Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.