Cannon Lake On The Cannon River Chain Report

• Anonymous

Date Location Water Temp Stage Flow Technique

5/25/2002 Cannon River 58 3-ways & bait

Saturday on Cannon Lake on the Cannon River Chain was a day that the fish were jumping in the boat. After lousy weather and fishing for this guy on the opener I had a plan for today I figured would put fish in the boat. Back to the old way of fishing this body of water that use to always score big. But with a couple of changes in mind. I use to catch alot of walleyes and perch, yes nice big perch, on this water with a bottom bouncer and spinner rig with a crawler trolling the flats.

This time I chose a 3-way over the bouncer and put on the spinner and crawler rig and fished on top of a nice long rock bar in 6 to 6.7 ft. of water and the walleyes started jumping into the boat. One time I didn’t even get the rig clear to the bottom and I had one on. I figured maybe the same one just got hooked again somehow but this one was about 2 inches bigger that the one before it. This was the first, and hopefully not the last, time I have caught them this fast on this body of water. I had stopped and talked to Lyle at Fairbault Bait and Tackle before heading out to fish to pick up some “goodies” and also get some minnows in case the walleyes were slow I would hit the panfish but never got the chance to use them. The walleyes were hungry.

Now these weren’t big fish, as they all measured 13-15 inches with one measuring 16 inches. The DNR guys were obviously watching me while they were out checking peoples licenses as they slowly followed me as I was popping fish and finally came up to see what I was doing and of course check my license. I think they were shocked when they found both my livewells empty as I released all of them and also when they saw how heavy of a weight I was using, 3 ounce bell sinker, so I could keep it vertical enough to keep it from snagging and yet be a little ways behind me so it wasn’t right under the boat when I was trolling.

A couple of times when I came towards the end of the rock bar I would swing around in a little bit deeper I would catch alittle bit larger fish so I decided to look for bigger fish and started working the edges out alittle bit deeper and no fish were found after making several passes checking out not only the edges but also the surrounding close area. All in all it was a very fun day with no rain, wind, or hail like I had run into the last couple times I was on the water no matter where I was, lol. For those who know me know I don’t drink but if you see a red Lund Mr. Pike 16 with FTR/FTL stickers on the boat at one of the “rock” bars at Cannon stop and say “Hi!” See ya on the water. Bill Cadwell

Email Bill Cadwell – [email protected]

Copyright © 2002 Electronic Fishing Network. All rights reserved.

Anonymous

Great to have a great day of catching! Thanks for the good info…Hawger

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.