Walleyes 5.19-5.21

• beno
    St. Paul

I spent a few days on Leech Lake over the past weekend. The weather was not very cooperative. It was breezy and cold most of the time. But that wasn’t about to stop us from hitting some of the classic spring holding spots.

It was tough to decide where to fish as the wind direction always seems to play a role on Leech. With the wind going from a SW to a ENE direction in a matter of hours we tried a little bit of everything.

We found live bait rigs with both leeches and shiners producing fish. My fishing partner and I both agreed that the leech bite should start to produce more in the next weeks. The fish were concentrated in certain depths and keeping the boat over these spots was critical. Typical drifts were not as productive as working contours. We found a nice mix of fish both below and within the protected slot.

In addition, there is a new bait shop in downtown Walker. Check it out, they are knowledgeable and helpful.

Good Luck out there.

Bill Marty
    Bloomington,MN

We were there last weekend. fished the big lake on Friday and Walker Bay on Sat. We had a good outing both days. friday brought ideal conditions. SSW wind warm and sunny. The two boats caught @50 walleyes with alot more pike than usual mixed in. Using jigs and shiners in 7-12fow. We kept enough fish 14 and 15 inchers for a dinner and released alot of 22-26 inchers. Sat on walker bay was a little uncertain. We had to search for fish where our Friday spot was a for sure bet. After looking for 2 hours we found a spot and started to pull in fish. We caught @40 nice walleyes. While fishing we noticed few boats @. Soon one other started to fish around us slowly inching closer. Than another and another. Pretty soon we had 20 boats trying to pull fish off the same car sized rock hump . By then the bite was off It is just good to see that Leech is Back.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.