Leech Lake Annual Fall Trip

• Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Got back Friday from our annual fall trip to Sucker Bay staying at the Birch Ridge Resort with Frank and Ann. First off for the dissapointing part water temps, we kind of talked Frank into staying open a week later last year due to warm water temps last yr mid to high 40’s. Well mother nature kindof messed with us again (Global Warming??) when we got on the water 58degrees what!!! is this October or what!! Anyway started fishing Sunday our main group fished Sucker Bay for perch jig n minnow with good luck numerous perch with some up to 12inches. John and I made the trek to Walker Bay to see if the Jumbo’s were in, caught lots (hundreds) keeping the daily limit ea
    between 10 and 12 inches no real jumbo’s. Warm water temps and the lake being a couple feet low didn’t help. Put the auqa view down and you could see a perch every couple of feet as far as I could see awsome. Monday we fished a smaller lake in the area sorry not my fishing spot so can’t give the name limited out on better size perch.
    So tue walleye day we slept as we got pounded by the waves (i.e. gettn old) got on the water about 11am I introduced John to ringworms I started with chart/white and after my third eye John decide to try one he chose green and walla 2 1/2 hours of fishing later we had our daily limit of four each biggest 17 1/2 nice fat fish. The rest of the group were still catching perch and some bonus fish 24 1/2
    & 22in eye and a couple in the 15 and 17 in range.
    Wed we fished for 2hoours and filled out on eyes. Hey what happened to double the daily for possesion Momma isn’t going to be happy spending all that money for six eyes and 40 perch lucky were having fun!!! Thur we played with the ski’s on cass lake John had a big on take a huge (like 2lb sucker) thanks Froggy’s bait for the nice suckers!! had him on for a while heavy fish but never got a hook in him. Anyway back to leech Didn’t fish fri due to 30plus mph winds and headed home a day early but for the trip alot of walleyes the slot seems to be working perch catches in sucker bay were up also with better size fish.
    It was a great time thanks to Frank and Ann at Birch Ridge Resort I tried to talk Frank to join IDA so we can get fishing info from Leech Come one Frank please!!!!
    Sorry forgot how to load pictures.
    Chippman.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What a great trip Chip!!!!!!!

Thanks for the report!!!!

Go to the FAQs for instructions on how to put up pics!

brent07
    Preston, MN

I used to fish sucker bay all of the time. Really glad to hear that they fish are “Coming Back” Had some of the best walleye fishing I have ever seen there for years and then it just seemed to DRY UP. Sounds like you had a good trip.

kellyb
    Prior Lake, MN

At Last!!!! A positive report from Leech! Nice work and report. I was up a few weeks ago and found the same on the perch. A lot of dinks but if you kept at it you could get enough keepers for a meal. Couldn’t buy a walleye but had fun with the northerns. Headed up this weekend to target eyes. How did Walker bay look? Gotta be close to turning by now.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

She was in the mid fifties when we left Friday with this cold and wind I would think the water temps should really drop. Like we said last year jumbo’s should be next week.
    HA HA. Next year were going to take my motorhome have it ready to go and when (if) we can get someone up there to report on fish or water temps when it hits the low forties were heading north for jumbo’s. It was really nice to see the eye’s I think last yr we only caught one all week so it was a vast improvement. Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.