Rathbun, Redrock and Coralville

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

How did people do on these lakes last year. Rate them according to your favorite place last year. They all should be fun this May/June

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Heading to Red Rock tomorrow. I’ll post results on Monday. I did pretty well at RR last year for the crappies. Real good average size. The channel cats add fun on the ultra lights. JD

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

Keep me informed how you do and if you start to get into the crappies I’ll come down and help you thin em out. I’ve never fished that lake yet ..

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

We fished up in the lake on Sat. We found water temps from 48 to 53. But no fish up in the shallows. Fished two arms up Whitebreast withoout a fish. Marked some fish in 10 ft of water but no takers. Moved out to the entrance to Whitebreast and marked fish in 20ft. I saw one boat using slip bobbers to keep exact depth and letting the wind push him over the fish in 20 ft. He had a few crappies on a stringer. We finally ended up in the marina and fished around the covered docks. We caught a dozen 11″ females with a mighty mite and minnow. They were 8 to 10 feet down. I saw the No fishing signs on the docks but with no boats in the slips and noone around we didn’t feel we were in anyones way. Do they own the water under the docks? May head to Coralville this weekend. See ya on the water.JD

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Coralville is still a little cold. They have been biting at mcbride. lots of little ones but good action at least. Look for brush in like 10ft of water.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Your experience with MacBride was apparently the exact opposite of mine. I was there on Sunday and couldn’t buy a bite.

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Headed back to Red Rock tomorrow. We’ll see what a difference a week makes. I saw a few boats casting against the dam last week so I think I’ll go see what they were up too. The flow has increased below the dam so we might give it a shot in the morning. See ya on the water.JD

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Gianni, Where did u fish? Saturday was better because of the warmer weather but sunday was chilly in the morning. We fished by the handi cap dock.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Where is the handicapped dock at MacBride? Is that the one across from the beach on the East side ramp?

We started on the points on the south end of the lake chasing ‘eyes. Then moved to the power lines, then onto the bay Northwest of there fishing the trees. Water temps that day were 51°, so maybe it’s just the warm weather that followed that triggered them to move up and start biting.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

The handicap dock is on the south arm. You need to access it by going through solon or coming from north liberty. If you come from solon you would take your first right before crossing the causeway. If you were coming from north liberty you would cross the causeway and take your first left. After turning on that road follow it west and you will run right into it. The point closest to it is also the point where they put all that rock in that stretches around 50-75 yards out. I still need to get you that map dont I. Things have been busy at work sorry. Let me know if I can help.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

How did you do at Redrock on your last trip JD????

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

Well when we got there they weren’t releasing much water. We were the only boat in the water below the dam in the morning. Water temp was 50 degrees. We found some nice crappies in the eddys under the walking bridge. Tried up by the dam but didn’t mark allot of fish that looked like walleyes. Didn’t see any walleyes caught. The rain on Sat. was miserable and I still have a stuffy nose. With the rain we decided not to try the lake?Bait shop said the crappies were still slow up there. See ya ,JD

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Any suggestions Niteeye? I’m starting a weeks Vac beginning fri May 2nd. It’s been a long time since I’ve fished Red Rock but crappies & the white breast arm is on my mind. I’m going to start with red rock then go down to Rathbun, then over to West lake, Three mile, & twelve mile. I mostly fish artificials but can change. I’m after those big red rock crappies, any suggestions? {John}

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Sounds like you’ll be glad to get back to work where you can relax!

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

You might have something there Gianni It seems every time I go back to work my weary bones, & sore eyes come back to normal,,, Authough, I do believe that my best day at work still does’nt equal my worst day out on the water,,,, Go figure?!?!?!?!?!?! {John}

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

G&S,
    One spot I always check is the two pillars on he north side of the long bridge. I use slip bobbers and minnows and fish right against them. The bay to the east of the bridge can be hot during the spawn. Last time up Whitebreast we noticed a steep bank on the north side that had 12-14 feet of water surrounded by 6-8. It was where the channel turns to the left(south).A little further up you will see some standing timber on the left, the channel runs right by them. Good luck! Let me know if any of this helped.JD

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.