Spring fishing?

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

It has been years and almost 1/2 the lake size ago since I have fished Devils Lake in open water, thinking of doing a trip in May up there. What are the preferred methods folks use up there? I know bobbers up shallow seem to do well, but how about riggin, jiggin, or trolling?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

It has been years and almost 1/2 the lake size ago since I have fished Devils Lake in open water, thinking of doing a trip in May up there. What are the preferred methods folks use up there? I know bobbers up shallow seem to do well, but how about riggin, jiggin, or trolling?

Sunday’s IDO show on Fox Sports North is a May shoot on Devils Lake with Jason Feldner of PerchEyes Guide Service. The top techniques were casting jigs and plastics with some caught casting cranks.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

perfect, thanks James!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Over the last several years, just showing up to DL with a fishing pole has worked well for me. Great lake and with all the flooding, great scenery.

ET

jwhite58502

Weather and lake temp makes a big difference, jigs with plastics, mimic minnows, etc in early to mid may usually, throwing cranks usually really picks up end of may and early june be on watch for water levels and temps.. this year forecast is for the lake to grow by another 50 SQUARE miles from 250 to 300 square miles I know it sounds crazy and it is worst case scenario but here is the link. http://www.times-online.com/node/1696

Even if it only expands by 25 square miles or 1/2 of the prediction holy crap for places to go fish. Grahams Island is suspected to maybe not be able to open this year as the road may become impassable due to high water so do lots of research before coming up it is gonna be great fishing just a whole new lake again.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wade,

Depending on the boat you have, I would head for the trees with a 6′ spinning rod and some #4 & #5 glass shad raps. We would pick our way through the maze of trees, casting all the holes, around stumps etc… It’s bass fishing for walleyes basically. It was a blast. My boat was filled with bark when we headed home and it had some character added to the outside.

Fishing in that clear water was a blast. Watching the chartreuse #5 get inhaled as fish would come out of nowhere was tough to beat. Much better than watching a cork in my opinion.

Have a great trip!

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Season 5 – Episode 8. Open Water. Walleye. James Holst & Jason Feldner, owner of PerchEyes Guide Service, fish Devils Lake mid-May for shallow water walleyes relating to heavy cover.

In-Depth Outdoors episodes air on FSN every Sunday at 8 AM. If you can’t be in front of the TV be sure to set your DVR!

For our web viewers, if you want to go directly to this latest show, just click on the video player below.

Direct Link >>> In-Depth Outdoors “Devils Lake Skinny Water Walleyes”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.