Floating for suckers

• Deuces

Floating down the zumbro this weekend and for the first time there didn’t have 6 beers in me before launch time, and since my tube popped and was riding the cooler tube face down my eyeballs were watching for fish quite often. Some good stretches there that hold more fish than I would’ve guessed. Never drift floated for suckers tho, would love to catch a bunch perhaps on a future trip, but thinking of all the worms I’ve dragged around river systems I’ve never had that much luck for catching suckers. Sheep and buff for sure, but very few suckers, stationary seemed to work the best for me for these fellas.

Anyone have experience on best tactics for summer suckers in a yak or canoe? Depths mostly 2 to 5′

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

How big were the suckers not floating on the tubes? You were floating in 2’ – 5’ of water and they didn’t move? I would have thought they would have scattered.

Deuces

They’d move a lil, not much. Imagine they are pretty used to many floating tubes thru the summer.

With the cool clear water I bet the coloring on them are spectacular

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Gotta bring extra tubes so you can pop a, few. Upper iowa this weekend is our group.
    Seen a lot of suckers.
    Never considered drifting for them but they’re usually spooked when I do.
    Worth a shot if you don’t have a beer in hand.

Attachments:
    1. 20230722_164736-scaled.jpg

Deuces

Heck yeah that’s what its about there.

Had 6 kiddos to manage with it being their first time so was keeping er tame.

Extra tubes is a good idea next time. How the heck do ya blow it up tho?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Extra tubes is a good idea next time. How the heck do ya blow it up tho?

same way you blew those up, before you get on the water. Just tie the extras to your tubes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.