Crispy Fish

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

This is a great recipe to use for those that tend to like the batter more than they like the fish. It’s also a great way to make the fish go a bit further, as you can fine tune this recipe for the thickness of the fried breading you prefer. For those of you who can’t stand your avg. soggy or only slightly firm fish.

-10 panfish fillets
    -1/4 cup Dry Fish-batter Mix – Homemade Recipe Below
    -Beer – Less than 1/2
    -Seasoned Flour
    -Oil
    -Panko Bread Crumbs

Add beer to the dry mix of your choice, either store-bought or homemade. Make the consistency equal to that of pancake batter if you want a thicker breading. More like the consistency of milk if you want it a bit more thin. Set aside for 5 minutes. Readjust amount of beer just before using. Setup a 4-step station right next to the pan or fryer. Take the fillets out of a milk soak, then dredge in seasoned flour, then dip in liquid batter, then roll in the panko bread crumbs. Add to fryer/pan with preheated oil.

After done, rather than setting on paper towels, put into metal colander to drain off excess oil.

Crispy fish, every time.

Fish Batter Recipe – Use with beer to make a liquid batter or use dry
    -1/4 cup flour
    -1/4 cup yellow corn meal
    -1/4 cup fish batter of preference (optional, adjust for seasoning)
    -1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    -Parsley
    -1 Tbsp Old Bay
    -1 tsp shallot salt or onion powder

Joel

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Thats a great recipe! I really like the panko crumbs with my fish taco’s. I bet this recipe is a hit with little ones

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

You bet, have the kids telling the in-laws that daddy needs to go fishing and hunting so we have food to eat in the winter. They’re less than impressed, but the kids believe it and it makes them eat fish and game.

Joel

a1a

Sounds good, but I don’t have any old bay. Will Old Spice work?

whittsend

Or maybe Sporty Spice??

This recipe sounds awesome, I just might have to try this tonight along with some battered/fried morels and a nice cold Summer Shandy.

Another tip, similar to the collander idea…

If you have a cooling rack something like the one pictured, put some paper towel UNDER the rack, and then lay it flat. If it has legs or other bumps to elevate it, lay it upside down so that the towels come close to the fish with really touching a whole lot… (in my photo, you would want to flip it over) The fish shouldn’t really sit on the paper towels, but the towels will wick any extra grease or catch any drops. So, close to the fish, but without having the fish lay directly on top of the towels.

Fish
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    rack
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Towels
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Countertop

Helps for crispier fish!

Also, you can substitute corn starch for some of the flour/corn meal. This will also cause the batter to be crispier than just flour.

Yum…

corey-studer

All sounds good along with the other recipes in the cook book. What could be real fun is a little (BIG) fish fry “throw down” at a central MN fishing location.

whittsend

Joel – I tried your recipe on some pannies the other night.

TAAAAAAYYYYY-STEEEE!

That batter was extra crispy for sure. Excellent recipe, thanks!!!

I added a touch of corn starch, but otherwise used your recipe. Excellent!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

There is a Asian food market here is town where I get 3# bags of panko crumbs for under $4 and a 2# bag of tempura for $3. I have had really good luck using the tempura thinned with a dark beer and then rolling in seasoned panko. Ever since I have made this at a few parties, I always get requests from those out of town to pick them up a couple bags of supplies. Too bad peanut oil is getting a bit pricey.

whittsend

Update… Photo included. I can taste the crispy through the photo!!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I’ve tried the cookie cooling rack before but the fish tends to stick and then you loose the coating. I’ll have to try a spray or something on it next time.

Dave

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Whit:

Nice work on the photo, and thanks for the positive feedback!

Joel

corey-studer

Quote:

Too bad peanut oil is getting a bit pricey.

Try using cotton seed oil.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Too bad peanut oil is getting a bit pricey.

Try using cotton seed oil.

Don’t give away your secrets before the fry-off!

Joel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.