First Muskie Combo

• Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Ready to jump into the Muskie scene. Been a spinning reel, light tackle walleye guy my whole life. Have only casted a baitcaster a handfull of times so looking for something user friendly but also something I wont grow out of in a year. For reels I was looking at the shimano curado 300, abu revo toro s, diawa lexa 300, or possibly the okuma citrix or komodo. I like the fact that the okumas have a sucker clicker. As for rods I’m pretty open, was looking at the 13 omen musky heavy 2-6 oz 8’7″. But open to anything. Hoping to stay under $450. Mainly I want a something that will handle a variety of basic baits and be durable. Any experience with any of these products or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

I’m a curado fan, I primarily use those. However, they’re not the best all around reel out there. If you can find a used 400 TE or 400D, I think those would be better options for an all around setup. The Toro with the 5.4 gears would probably be a good all purpose reel too, but there have been durability concerns with Abu’s in the past. However, I think that’s mostly resolved now. As for a rod, something like that Omen, 8’6″-ish heavy would be best IMO.

Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Thanks for the feedback! I have been hearing lots of good things about the curado.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

A rod in the $100 to $125 range 8′ to 9′ heavy action would be a good place to start. A house brand rod from any of the box stores. As for reels, a good starter is the Abu Garcia 7000, it is in the $160 range. With line, you are in the $300 range. If musky fishing becomes something that you like and want to add to your arsenal of equipment, then buy some top of the line rods and reels. If you are someone who has to have the latest and greatest equipment, by all means, head over to thorn bros and they can hook you up with a custom rod and a top of the line reel. You can always sell it here on the classified section if it don’t work out.

dbright
    Cambridge

The citrix would be my last pick after buying one last year and only making it through one easy weekend of muskie fishing and a one night catfishing. Ended up replacing it with a Toro revo nacl which has been great.

Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Thanks for the heads up on the okuma. The more I research the more Im leeaning towards the lexa 300 I see alot of salt water guys using them for tarpon and we all know how hard saltwater guys are on gear. They are a little less expensive, $200 new. and they come in a 6.3 or 7.1 ratio. I’m guessing a 6.3 would be a little better for all around use?

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Depending on what lures you are going to throw you may find the 6.2 to be a little hard to deal with. Pulling big lures with lots of resistance at that pace can be brutal. I use an old style Abu-Gracia 7000 paired with St Croix Premier HD rod to handle the heavy stuff works great. Have been using it for at least 10 years now.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I love my revo Toro winches!!
    Small, light and effortless retrieve. Unless you want to burn baits, then you’ll be reeling fast… Or, that’s when I use the revo Toro winch high speed.

You’ll find, just like walleyes, it’s hard to have one combo do all.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

the Curado 300 is a proven reel for muskie fishing; it’ll handle just about anything except double-10 bucktails and pounder-size swimbaits. very easy to operate if you’re new to baitcasters (read as: “not many backlashes”!) and extremely durable. i’m still running a 300DSV model that’s 7 years old right alongside a new 300E and a high-speed 300EJ.

if you’ve got your eyes on a Lexa, i’d lean towards the 400 size instead of the 300. the “400H” size in 6.3:1 is a fine multi-purpose reel.

a Heavy power, Fast action rod will cover many/most applications. choose the brand that suits your fancy…personally i’d put more money into the reel than the rod. i’d look at at least 8′ long for easy casting and figure-8s.

get some double-8 bucktails, a couple magnum dawgs and have fun – avoid the temptation to get huge baits starting out. there’s a time and place for them, but you’ll fish smaller baits more effectively, and muskies eat them just fine.

Jeff Iverson

Joshua,

Like many are saying spend your money on the reel. I just jumped in a year and a half ago and it’s addicting…. so be careful.

Start with 8-9 foot heavy action rod (the length really helps on figure 8’s). Budget $100 +- for your first rod. I have some Bull Dawg rods and am happy with them. I agree with the 400 size reel. I went with a (lets call it a lesser quality reel) and I replaced it after 3 weeks… all of a sudden the little more expensive reel would have made more sense.

I’ve have 2 Abu’s both have performed well for all purpose. I have a Lexa 300 (ok but a bit small) and a Lexa 400 Power currently its my favorite. I’m finding things each reel does better.

If you plan on burning big bucktails these reels will do it for a while. You’ll be exhausted and sore and the reel will take a beating. Stay with the double 8’s or smaller single blade buck tails and your golden.

I learned this the hard way and am saving up for a Shimano Tranx. But there are several other reels (light saltwater basically) that will perform the task.

Good luck and have fun… I love to bow hunt and this is the closest thing on the water I’ve ever found. The adrenaline rush when you get hit or have a follow is awesome!

deertracker

I love my revo Toro winches!!
    Small, light and effortless retrieve. Unless you want to burn baits, then you’ll be reeling fast… Or, that’s when I use the revo Toro winch high speed.

You’ll find, just like walleyes, it’s hard to have one combo do all.

X2. I used one for the first time last year. It was the best reel I have ever used.
    DT

fishdale

I have a few Abu’s but have had issues with the gears/drags when fishing bigger lures. Also have a Lexa 300 it seems to work good but only for smaller lures.

my favorite is my REVO TORO NACL 60 love it and it seems bullet proof so far.

Picked up a Calcutta 400B this winter but I have not got a chance to use it yet. But I have head good reviews on them.

Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

thanks for all the input guys! Love this site. As this will be my first baitcasting combo i was leaning towards a left handed reel. seems this will be an easier transition since im use to throwing with my right and winding with my left. I never quite understood why baitcaster guys switched hands? Am I wrong in wanting to go lefty? And yes I looked at the lexa 400H with the lower gear setting but its not available lefty (

fishdale

If I was just starting I think I would try going lefty but with 30+ years going right handed I do not think I will be switching.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

lefty means fewer options, but there’s still some very good ones available for you. in a low-profile, lefty reel…i’d still go with the Curado.

Lexa 400 HL = 33″/crank, $250
    Curado 301 = 28″/crank, $260
    Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast 61 = 27″/crank, $400
    Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast 61 HS = 34″/crank, $400

(and yes, you can find all of these reels for cheaper; just listing MSRP for comparison)

Jake
    Brainerd

I have a lefty Diawa Luna that I never use. Bought it with a thorne bros rod on Clist for a nice deal. Figured I would give the left hand retrieve a shot. Well it wasn’t for me. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest. Probably let it go for a very reasonable price.

Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Well after much research and conversations with friends that musky fish I purchased an Okuma evx musky rod, 8′ 6″ heavy power rated for 2-8oz with a Daiwa lexa 300 HL. Thanks for everyone’s help and opinions, this website is truly a great resource. I also purchased a few starter baits. A tin-buck chart/black buchertail as well as a tinbuck 2 in orange and black. Also a shallowraider in chart/pikey, depthraider in perch, and a topraider in baby mallard. Being originally from Eagle River I had to support my fellow Eagle River native, Mr. Bucher lol. Any other recommendations for a few good starter baits? Thinking a bulldawg/medusa type bait. I’m also in the market for a net, I will mostly be fishing the Wisconsin river system in the central Wisconsin area out of a 14 ft aluminum v-hull so something not overly huge would be ideal. Thanks again for all the help.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

make sure to get a cowgirl or anything with double 10s. More fish over 50 have been caught on those than almost anything else. Also I love a nice softtail phantom. a minimum of the 6.5 inch. Also a showgirl or two they have double 8s and you can speed them over any structure.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Blades! Silver with black is a well known producer, 8’s or 10’s. Suick thrillers minimum 7″ probably go with the 9″ these are really key more towards fall. I prefer the weighted ones more than unweighted ones. Mimi medusa’s are a good bait, regular dawgs or medusas pick your color I go orange/black. I like hellhounds more than phantoms but both produce fish. Like Carter said 6″ or bigger (hellpuppy is 6″).

Just a few more options, good luck. waytogo

Joshua
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Don’t think my set up will be the best for pulling double 10’s, but definitely grabbing a couple 8’s. With the suicks, why weighted? What are the advantages and disadvantages between weighted and un-weighted.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

I agree with 10’s being a bit much for that setup more of the reel being the weak spot. The 400 series reels are a bit beefier and will hold up better. Unweighted suicks have a lot of buoyancy. Weighted seem to get a little more depth and hang time. Little more weight for casting is nice too. All in all you should have a great setup that will serve most of your needs for a great start to fishing’s dark side…

dbright
    Cambridge

In my limited experience chasing them on the river I would keep the size down on most baits. You will figure out fast what you don’t like to pull into the current. Upriver casts or straight across current. It will wear you out fast pulling blades into the current. Big smallie love muskie baits also.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I want to put in another recommendation for the toro. The new S is a great reel that you’ll be happy to own if you decide to become an avid muskie fisherman. If you buy a 7000 or any 300 size reel (curado, lexa, etc.) you’ll have a decent reel but one that you won’t want to use as often. The 7000, in my opinion, is outdated at this point. I used to own about half a dozen of them.

Nice Fella

I picked up what I thought was a pretty good deal at the Musky Expo this weekend from Joe’s Sporting Goods booth: Toro Revo S and Veritas 8’0″ HF rod, spooled up with 80# braid for $300; PLUS a Abu hat, $30 mail-in rebate, and mail-in hoodie sweatshirt for $10 S&H. Kind of an impulse buy, so hope it works out good. Just spoke to the guys at Joe’s this morning because I needed the UPC code and he said they had some left, both RH and LH; the Beast combo was $400.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well after much research and conversations with friends that musky fish I purchased an Okuma evx musky rod, 8′ 6″ heavy power rated for 2-8oz

That’s actually a really nice sturgeon rod too. I can pull up a 60# fish in about 5 minutes in current. Doesn’t seem that heavy of a rod compared to a few others of mine, but it surprises me every time it pulls up a big boy.

carver
    West Metro

There were some deals at the show this weekend for sure.

Here are my setups:
    All have lexa 400’s
    Toothtamer 9′ jawbreaker XXX hvy- can throw just about everything with this except for lighter baits

Toothtamer 8’6″ x hxy – good all around rod however no pounders

Toothtamer 8’6″ med hvy – great for throwing 8’s and smaller baits, topwater etc.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.