Fireline to mono leader

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

8# fireline seems much different than 10#. Either way can’t get my trusty mod Albright to work with the stuff. Oddly enough the fireline breaks right at the knot.

What’s a guy to use?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Double-Uni?

Just a thought…have you tried tying that 8# Fireline to a snap or something and giving it a yank? I’m just wondering if maybe you got a bad spool of line.

S.R.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Double uni has never failed me

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Got into few snags so far and she’s good, almost to freakin strong for 8#. Been tying the Albright for years and always been solid, switched to braid exclusively on two main rods this year and frustrating as heck it ain’t working.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

X3 on the double uni. That is my go to for line to line knots.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Alberto knot waytogo
    Been very good to me over the years

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Alberto knot waytogo
    Been very good to me over the years

Guess I’m confused now, seems the Albright and Alberto are same?

Buckeye1

Had Albright fail casting rippin raps this weekend. Gonna try an alberto in yard this weekend.

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

Alberto wraps around going down and back where Albright wraps going back only.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Gotcha.

The Alberto then has worked about 50% of time. Went to 12 wraps up and back and made sure to carefully wrap back on wrap.

Give double uni a try next time.

BrianF

I’ve experienced an unacceptable number of break-offs with both the Alberto and Albright knots while using aggressive cast/retrieve/hard hook-set techniques such as with Jigging Raps, Rippin Raps, and swimbaits. The thickness of those knots tends to increase damage to the line as the knots go back and forth thru the line guides many hundreds of times per day. Also, because of its density, flouro doesn’t like to be bent to extremes as is the case with those two knots, creating a weak point right at the loop where the braid enters and exits.

I’ve begun using the FG Knot which, if tied correctly, is said to test out at 30% higher break strength, has no bend in the flouro whatsoever, and is extremely thin so as to minimize damage while coming thru the guides. I use a finishing knot and drop of glue to lockdown the FG.

The FG might be the ultimate connection knot for those willing to learn to tie it correctly?? Took a while, many YouTube tutorials, and a lot of failed practice knots to get it right, but I think the effort will be worth the cost in temporary frustration as I worked thru the learning curve.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve had very good luck with the modified alberto knot using it on fireline and power pro. Been only doing it for a few years but it has yet to fail me. Maybe I haven’t caught enough lunkers like some of you?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Same boat as you eyeguy, this 8# just don’t like it and to best of my knowledge it’s not the line quality.

TMF89

Alberto here, never had any issues with it.

curleytail

I 2nd the FG knot. It did take a few shots to really figure out how to tie it. But once I figured it out it’s simple.

Seems very strong and it’s incredibly thin. Can’t hear or feel it going through your guides on the cast.

In the past I lost some fish and baits and the fluoro/braid connection. I think the braid basically cut through the leader. I feel there’s much less chance of this happening with the FG knot.

Tucker

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

Hands down, FG Knot. Once you get good at tying it, it will be your best knot to join braid to nylon/fluoro.

I used to go uni to uni with doubling the braid over, but had to many break offs at the knot.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Appreciate the info fellas.

Wish I had time to experiment with one. Have found a new profound respect for those who have redone the floors in their boat. This sux!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.