Fire Extinguisher

• fishspike

I have a Rebel SS. Where do you all think the best place for the extinguisher would be. It is currently right by the ladder. The kids will grab it as a hand hold. I also think the engine area would be the most likely fire spot. So extinguisher is a little close.

See pic

Attachments:
    1. 45BDD833-6A63-48E8-AB5B-699F377F0A46.jpeg

isu22andy

Under the drivers or passenger console is where I’d put it .

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I definitely would not leave it there if people might be grabbing it when using the ladder.

stevenoak

Under the console. I wouldn’t make it a day. Me or my dog would step on the plastic valve. Also, if you are ever going to have a fire in a fishing boat. It’s likely going to be in the stern.
    I’m 65 years old, don’t think I’ve ever seen a fire in a fishing boat. Even in the days of pulling the plug and splashing gas into the cylinder. Did see a guy with a bad fill tube in a I/O that just pumped 60 gallons of fuel into his bilge and not use the blower. Get blown out of the boat, just like in the cartoons. Lucky he wasn’t hurt too bad. Guy from the news wanted to interview me. I said “no man, I’m supposed to be at work.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

James had a boat fire many years ago.
    Last week there was a boat fire reported by Goodhue County.

I pulled up to a marina where we were going to spend the night. Lots of people around. They just had a pleasure craft fill up a the gas dock. Turned the key and blew the three women out of the boat. One was ok, the other two…not so much.

There was “a pile” of black fiberglass in the water ahead of us by 100 feet. Only way we could tell it was a boat was because one of the stainless boat side rails was attached protruding out of the water.

It happens!

PS those little Marine extinguishers do little for anything but the smallest fires.

And good call on moving your fire extinguisher!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

James had a boat fire many years ago.
    Last week there was a boat fire reported by Goodhue County.

I pulled up to a marina where we were going to spend the night. Lots of people around. They just had a pleasure craft fill up a the gas dock. Turned the key and blew the three women out of the boat. One was ok, the other two…not so much.

There was “a pile” of black fiberglass in the water ahead of us by 100 feet. Only way we could tell it was a boat was because one of the stainless boat side rails was attached protruding out of the water.

It happens!

PS those little Marine extinguishers do little for anything but the smallest fires.

And good call on moving your fire extinguisher!

Just this summer I pulled one that was in my fishing boat. I was curious to see exactly what it was capable of as between the fishing boat and the tritoon, we often have multiple passengers.

As BK said, that thing was shockingly underwhelming. It did not put out the campfire burning unseasoned, crappy firewood. If any type of fuel was involved in a boat fire you may be better off spitting on it. I quickly ordered to more robust extinguishers and put one in each boat.

More often than not it seems fires are on I/O or larger cruiser style boats. I’ve seen maybe a half-dozen boat fires in my time on the river and none have involved an outboard. Regardless, I wouldn’t be any help as a good samaritan with the little pieces of junk that come standard in most boats.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree with the guys under either console. Thanks BK and Bucky for the info about them being weak. Bucky care to share what you found that you liked and does it mount in the same bracket or did you have to replace the mount also?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS any dry chemical extinguisher should be removed from it’s mount, rotated from it’s normal position and tapped with a rubber mallet annually, although I tap mine with a hammer, just more lightly.

They are expired in 12 years from the date (mostly) found on the bottom of the cylinder. Although the USCG says “they must be removed from service” keeping an expired one on board as fine as long as:
    1. There’s a replacement serviceable extinguisher on board labeled “Marine Type – USCG Approved”.
    2. It’s gauge still shows good.

Seldom will a larger extinguisher fit in original mount.

Umy
    South Metro

I moved mine from that exact spot when I go home from the dealer.
    Thinking maybe I ought to move it again though.
    Under the console passenger side is taken up by my lure storage boxes ( built in) Drivers side would be cramped – thought about that when I first moved it.
    It is under the drivers side jump seat right now – lift seat, pull up seat bottom- right there – QUICK grab and I tell everyone who is on my boat before we leave where the fire extinguisher is, the pliers, the life jackets, anchor, the hook cutter and the spare key in case something happens to me.
    I will review this before the boating season.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Agree with the guys under either console. Thanks BK and Bucky for the info about them being weak. Bucky care to share what you found that you liked and does it mount in the same bracket or did you have to replace the mount also?

I removed the original mount for the cheap small extinguisher that came with the boat. My newer, larger extinguisher sits standing up in the corner under the console with an adjustable mount I bought off Amazon.

Reef W

PS any dry chemical extinguisher should be removed from it’s mount, rotated from it’s normal position and tapped with a rubber mallet annually, although I tap mine with a hammer, just more lightly.

Mines been rolling around one of the floor compartments for ~8 years so it should be good whistling

fishspike

Thanks for the great responses. Will be moving/replacing it

Thanks again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It is under the drivers side jump seat right now – lift seat, pull up seat bottom- right there

Might want to check on that location. I would have to check again to be sure but I’m thinking they have to be “readily accessible”. Your call.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The new labeling system for marine fire extinguishers is a bit confusing.

A 5-B will handle a 5 square foot fire.
    A 10-B is to handle a 10 square foot fire.

There is a bunch of good reading by using google if so interested. coffee

Umy
    South Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>
    It is under the drivers side jump seat right now – lift seat, pull up seat bottom- right there

Might want to check on that location. I would have to check again to be sure but I’m thinking they have to be “readily accessible”. Your call.

I wondered that when I moved it but it was “just as quick” for me to get it there as it was under the console when I got right down to it and kneeled down, reached in and unlatched it and got back up again.
    I can see where that might be more advantageous, especially visually.
    I’m going to size it right behind where my shift lever is I think. Easy to see, really out of the way for the most part given how I fish.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>

The ? is where do they define ” readily accessible ” This ? has came up for more than a few guys in regard to the life jacket regulation as well. They to are also to be readily Accessible. The Throwable reads Immediately available.
    I know a few different fishermen who have been ticketed for having their life jacket in enclosed compartments. When they fought the tickets they have won every time. Simply because readily accessible is not defined. I hear this ticket is fought and won often. You think the state would just define what readily accessible means in the regulation book to avoid this issue.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Generally it’s the USCG that sets the pace for these regulations.
    For fire related devices they have always used the NFPA Codes.

“NFPA 10 Standard for Portable Fire Extinguishers states that fire extinguishers “shall be…. readily accessible and immediately available in the event of fire.” And also that “Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed or obscured from view.”

How the State or local law enforcement defines the above is the question much like the location of PFD’s. (although PFD’s do not fall under NFPA codes)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS you’ll never get a PFD ticket if your wearing it! )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.