Fall-What’s working?

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What weight are you using to keep it on the bottom, or do you let the current bounce it down current? Never thought about using one because I figured I’d never get it to the bottom. I’m also fishing from the bank on the rivers so maybe that’s the difference.

tim hurley

Time to try live bait, medium suckers, large fatheads, shiners. So many will not use live bait because of the tournament scene, the heroes, videos is all about artificials. Most of the lakes in the circuit are to the south and live bait is forbidden. Anyway weekend warriors get some minnow, you will catch LMbs and the occasional walleye, is that ok? Go a liitle big and you also get big pike, smaller and you also get a slab crappie.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am done for the season. Boats going in to get winterized on Monday. Good luck to those still out there. There was a tremendous bite last week. Looks like another multi day rain even coming next week, followed by significantly cooler temps.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No Tim….You may not use live bait in any situation…..lest we turn up our artificial loving noses at you.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Time to try live bait, medium suckers, large fatheads, shiners. So many will not use live bait because of the tournament scene, the heroes, videos is all about artificials. Most of the lakes in the circuit are to the south and live bait is forbidden. Anyway weekend warriors get some minnow, you will catch LMbs and the occasional walleye, is that ok? Go a liitle big and you also get big pike, smaller and you also get a slab crappie.

So many will not use live bait because you have to baby it. It’s not very compatible with repetitive casting around and through vegetation. I enjoy working a lure to elicit strikes. Live bait fishing is outsourcing part of the work that I enjoy doing. How I like to fish has little to do with tournaments, but there is a large degree of overlap when it comes to skills involved. I fished for 22 years, before fishing my first bass tournament. Other people’s experience revolves around tournaments. Nothing wrong with that when it comes C&R sportfishing. You are more likely to deep hook a fish with live bait.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Tim
    I don’t care how anyone wants to fish bass or any other species of fish as long as it’s legal. There was a time when I use to use live bait for lots of species. I still do so from time to time. Over time I’ve learned that it’s not necessary to do so, so these days I don’t seem to do so much anymore. There are times when it for sure will outfish artificial baits. I’m sure if there was a day when their life depended on needing to catch fish many so called no live bait fishermen would be quick to turn to live bait.

tim hurley

I almost always start with artificials, if I’m sitting there looking at a bobber that is not going down I feel like I would rather be ice fishing where at least I can have 2 lines. If a person does not ever need live to catch fish more power to them.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Current is pretty slow up here. 3/16 seems to work pretty well. It’s a light bite usually.

Bass Pundit

Tonight I got all of my bass on a bluegill colored Big Blade Chatterbait with Z-Man Billy Goat trailer. I got two 4lbers and a 3lber along three different reed edges. I caught 8 total bass. I really enjoy it when a big girl locks onto a moving bait in the Fall.

Bass Pundit

Today I went fishing at South Long with a couple from my bass club. We were catching an occasional fish on a jignpig and a swim jig, but it was slow. Normally the guy has a soft swimbait rigged up to try. He didn’t have a rod rigged this trip, so I thought I’d throw a Rage Swimmer. Yep, they were eating that and I finished the day strong getting bass on three consecutive casts at one point. Then I was left wondering, why haven’t I tried throwing a swimbait on Sullivan this Fall? They absolutely would not touch a chatterbait.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Got talked into fishing in an Ironman bass tournament on Sunday. My buddy is good. He fished the Forest Wood Cup. I’m sure his smart fishing friends turned him down. Snow and 32 with a N wind. Should be fun

Bass Pundit

I may or may not have caught my last bass of 2023 on Wed’s. I’m keeping my boat in the lake for now. I don’t think I’ll be going out today. Maybe I’ll try on Saturday if there is no wind. I’ll definitely give it a shot the first week of November, but those water temps are gonna be cold.

Lindner swears by a jerkbait, and small jig when water temps are in low 40s/high 30s. I’ll also try a blade bait, Ned, and Wacky/Neko. I’m pretty sure the bass will not be moving on from the areas where I have been catching them recently in Sullivan.

I only caught two bass yesterday. I made the mistake of running back to Platte for the final half hour of light.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Jerkbaits and paddletails on the river the past couple of days. No giants but plenty of 2-3 lbers.

Attachments:
    1. smallie1-scaled.jpg

2. Smallie2-scaled.jpg

FryDog62

Free Rig still rockin’ in the free state of Florida waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2008.jpeg

2. IMG_2011.jpeg

3. IMG_2023_11_19-11_44_31_5320_CCD8F254.jpeg

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.