Fall-What’s working?

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I heard the weather guy on TV say September is the first month of Fall. So, how is fishing for you?

I went out for a short trip on Friday morning. I had to put my starting battery on the charger, which cost me about 20 minutes of fishing that I could have used because the wind came up as I was underway, which wasn’t ideal because where I fished wasn’t really wind-protected. I missed or lost a couple of bites on a buzzbait and a frog. The first bass came on a Jackhammer where I missed a buzzbait bite. I caught a dink and a skinny 17.75″ fish that was just shy of 3lbs on a Hack Attack Jig pitching to rice/pads. I also missed a few bites pitching.

I am about to head out for a short trip this morning and will probably go this evening if the wind lays down.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was out yesterday morning for about 4 hours. A line of t storms just to my north created a nice cloud deck and cooler temps until about 9:30am, then it started to warm up rapidly. Fishing was very good, caught 20 largemouth and 4 pike in shallow water yo-yoing a chatterbait around weeds and docks. Nothing really big, every fish was between 14-18 inches and one of the pike was 33. Water temp was 72.5 degrees.

Attachments:
    1. E29FD2F5-8A99-4EF6-9C1B-4CDB8C0F6CA2-scaled.jpeg

Bass Pundit

I fished for two hours this morning, the water temp was 72; It was 68 on Friday. I had only two fish hit a frog, and big ones, judging by the boils. I think the first one may have been a dogfish, and the second a pike. I caught three small bass, one on an R2S Bubble Walker and two on a Fire Craw Jackhammer. I caught several small pike on buzzbait and lost 3 or 4 bites on the buzzbait as well when the fish got me down in the weeds. The wild rice on Sullivan really thinned out and dried up since Friday. There was more sunfish and baitfish activity than I can remember all year. The bass just didn’t seem to be going on top. I had fished over the spot where I caught the two bass on the Jackhammer with the Bubble Walker first. I did stop at one place on Platte on my way in and had a couple of small fish boil on my buzzbait.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Went out with a buddy who is a much better fisherman than I am on a lake by Grand Rapids. I learned a bunch. Panoptics is dynamite. Alabama rigs catch smallies and walleyes. They would barely touch a drop shot or Ned rig. Throw that mess of wire and plastics it was game on. Unreal.

tim hurley

Rap. DT10 did well again today Biggest was a thick 19er. That bite shut down quick then plastics did well.

tim hurley

Pic

Attachments:
    1. A926D400-50A9-4293-8B99-A734DDEFAA8D-scaled.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

At the moment nothing. Although I’ve only been able to get out in the middle of the day lately. One of the worst summers I’ve ever had.

mrpike1973

The pike were on fire for some reason stealing most of my jig/pig lure. Did get a few bigger bass 17-19 on same lure only 3 between 3 trips out but fun. After this cool front comes it will be interesting to see if it kicks them in gear or puts them in a funk.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hppefully kicks them into gear. I’m putting my derby shoes on for the first time this year on Green in Chisago this sunday. Should be interesting because I’ve had terrible fishing the last month.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The pike were on fire

I started to catch a few more of those slimy devils the last couple times too. As the water continues to cool, they will become more active. I didn’t hardly catch any from about mid July to mid August because it was so warm out.

Charles

Anybody notice the bass seam really really slime’ey right now? The pike are out like the crazy and I hate to say it but I think there beginning there transition.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got out Both Sat. and Sun. Morning. Sat. we fished 3 different lakes that were close to each other. Did not do Great on any of them. I managed 1 20″ bass and my buddy got a 37′ Pike so was not the worst morning of fishing. We also got a Dozen or so other bass mostly in the 14-16 Range. and Far to many Small pike. Best lure of the day was probably the good old Buzzbait. Also managed a few on a spinnerbait, a chatterbait, and a Neko rig. The fish seem to be stuck in a transition between the summer deep spots and the Fall shallow locations. Water temps on Sat. were 71-73 on all lakes we fished. Sunday found us once again looking all over to locate fish. This outing we did find a few more bass still on the deeper summer locations than the day prior. Caught fish on both a Jigworm and a Neko rig. We also caught some fish on the Buzzbait and spinnerbaits again. about a even mix between the deep weedline and the mid depths ( 6-8Ft. ) Water temps after the heat blast on Sat were at 74-76. I think we just need a few cooler days to get the fish into a more consistent Fall pattern. Probably will not be out again till after our Canada trip all next week, So hopefully will return home and have the fall bite kicking into high gear

Attachments:
    1. Bass.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Piece of corn on an Aberdeen hook, this 14”er couldn’t resist! Bass fishing is easy. jester

PS Love the shirt Thumper!

Attachments:
    1. F0EE2177-A73F-4E58-AFF5-DA66726785CA-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tim that’s a very nice fatty right there, even funner on a dt crank. But why the dollar bill ? I never understand taking out a bill or a card for a picture? Is there a reason to take your wallet out ? Generally curious.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

PS Love the shirt Thumper!

That’s my Brother In Laws Restaurant in Chicago

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to prefish Green on Friday. There are basically two spots where the derbies are won out there and I think I’m going to go all in on reaction baits. Nothing slow has worked for me for the last three weeks. Cranks, bladed jigs, and jerkbaits are what I’m going to start with and work back to finesse if needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m going to prefish Green on Friday. There are basically two spots where the derbies are won out there and I think I’m going to go all in on reaction baits. Nothing slow has worked for me for the last three weeks. Cranks, bladed jigs, and jerkbaits are what I’m going to start with and work back to finesse if needed.

That’s a pretty easy lake. I’m sure you know where to sit, but you are forgetting the heavy 3/4 oz skirted jig out there. That wins tourneys on that lake. Those 2 spots always produce.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wasn’t forgetting it. Just not going to mess with it prefishing. I know that works out there. jester It’s going to all depend on the boat draw. Whoever gets the first few will be on those few spots all day.

tim hurley

Fat girls will want a fat meal-if you can get out there at dawn throw a crank, with all the suspended ‘gills out there why in low light would they want to hunt down some skinny wormy thing?
    Bear-that’s the money fish! Just got in the habit of using bills for measurement and scale, should get a sticker tape in that boat-oooh that’s a thick fish.

Bass Pundit

I didn’t get a single bass on topwater this morning. I did all my damage on a Turbo FattyZ swimming worm. Big bass of the morning was a little over 4lbs. For whatever reason I was a gong show after landing that fish. I could just about call my shot as to where a fish would be for the next hour, but I didn’t land anything. There were a lot of pike around today as well. I ended up getting 15 bass and 16 pike. The biggest pike was 28-inches.

I think with the way the weather worked out this week the bite is going to be on fire for my club tournament up at Pokegama (Grand Rapids) on Saturday. We are primarily going to be targeting largemouth.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Four dinks this morning on Green prefishing. None were even big enough to be weighed. Absolutely brutal. Hopefully there will be some wind, and the early morning bite will help us out. Threw the kitchen sink at them.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

A rig deep rocks. Doesn’t catch numbers, but big ones. I’m a believer as of late.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nothing worked today. Fished from 530 to noon. And it was tough to say the least. A few small fish and that was it. Very tough

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Four dinks this morning on Green prefishing. None were even big enough to be weighed. Absolutely brutal. Hopefully there will be some wind, and the early morning bite will help us out. Threw the kitchen sink at them.

How’d this go ? Hopefully better then the lake down the road

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Got a few on topwater at dusk. Bit off by pike with plastics. A good 6 weeks to come.

tim hurley

Small and slow on a new lake I tried.

mrpike1973

Todays update, I tried every possible lure I caught 3 bass on Neko 1 on a Ned rig absolutely the worst I’ve done in a while water temp was 70 degrees. Debating to go out tonight or not. They really are in a funk.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

How’d this go ? Hopefully better then the lake down the road

5 bites all day. My partner had a legit 5 lber on a deep crank but it threw his DT10 on a huge jump 20 ft from the boat. That was our first bite at 900. Then I caught a 2.5 on an 8 inch worm about ten minutes later. Caught two more dink keepers for a total of 3 fish for just under 6 lbs. Winner had 17 and caught them late in the tourney on the point we fished for the first two hours of the day and didn’t get a bite. Very frustrating. Especially with good conditions finally. Cool, windy, and cloudy.

tim hurley

DT10
    Rhymes with?
    Strikes again! They do seem to get shook off a bit easier than say a Fat Rap.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.