Fall-What’s working?

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Was there any size to the Northern. I don’t catch many of them in that lake , but when I see them they all are pretty decent.

No, they were all about 25 inches. They were mixed right in with the bass too on rocks, which is a little odd to me. I don’t usually catch many pike out in the abyss on that lake. The pike I catch are usually in the weedy south bays.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Buzzbait worked on Tuesday evening. Not so much on Wednesday evening, it did catch my only bass, which didn’t go a pound. I also lost a really good fish on Agent E, but it could have been a pike or even a walleye. I thought it was making its way to the surface to jump and it just came off. I thought the fish would be going in that weather, but they weren’t.

Umy
    South Metro

A friend and I went to Mille Lacs today and caught 12 smallmouth, 3 pike, and a walter. The walleye just happened to be in the keeper slot. Four of the smallmouth were 20+ inches. A jerk bait was the most effective presentation. No live bait for this guy. At one point I caught a smallmouth, walleye, and <em class=”ido-tag-em”>pike on three consecutive casts in the same spot. Kind of an odd trifecta.

Nice job – great bunch of fish

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice job – great bunch of fish

Thanks Umy

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Still scratching out a few on the River with the Ned rig and c-rig. 51 degree water. There’s still time. I hope.

FryDog62

Still scratching out a few on the River with the Ned rig and c-rig. 51 degree water. There’s still time. I hope.

Blade baits next?

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Tried them. A bit early I think. They are moving down River to the lake. The upper reaches aren’t as good. Going to to hit it hard on Tuesday.

mrpike1973

I got 1 bass from shore this weekend but a hog 20 incher on a jig and paddle tail plastic. The last guy who pulled his boat out said water temp was 50 degrees.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The last guy who pulled his boat out said water temp was 50 degrees.

Yikes. That is getting to the point of no return.

I haven’t been out locally since a week ago. The water was 57 just north of the metro and the bite was still very good. It was also very good at Mille Lacs last Wed and the water temp there was 56.

Weather this week looks pretty average. I see 55-60 degrees pretty much every day for a high through next weekend.

tim hurley

Keep catching bass G! Chisel to launch if you must.
    I used to fish a lake nearby with this guy, so fun lots of fish and some were big
    (not Canada big but some around 10)we got everything ready went out and the lake was frozen.
    He was mad!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Got one bass this morning and two pike. Bass on the jerkbait was almost three lbs and two rat pike, one on the jerk and one on the Magdraft. It was getting hit fairly frequently but I think most were probably pike strikes. Still haven’t figured out the fall bite this year. Reaction baits and finesse don’t seem to yield hardly anything. Topwater didn’t get anything this morning either.

Water temps were 55-57 in the NE metro.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe you should have been jigging a sucker minnow Mahto. jester

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No thanks. I’ll save that for under a float for crappies.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I backed in one year and hit something at the landing. Realized it was ice. Went and had an omelette for breakfast and put the boat away.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I backed in one year and hit something at the landing. Realized it was ice. Went and had an omelette for breakfast and put the boat away.

The way the bite has been for me lately I’m contemplating putting it away and hitting my bank spots on the Miss until ice.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Hang in there. I have faith.

Bass Pundit

Last night they were crushing a buzzbait. Not a lot of bites, but when they did they lit it up.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Going back out this morning. Going to a small lake that is C and R only that I have never been too. Hopefully it’ll be a nice one.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well went out this morning and found the fish on the tops of the spines of main lake points. Most didn’t want to bite despite site fishing them with about everything I had. Did catch a solid amount of 1-3 lbers on the jerk though working it through same areas.

BrianF

Lit em’ up pretty good today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7533-scaled.jpeg

Deuces

Around the metro if you can find enough ambient light by the river a few smallies will get ya at night. Found several last night, pretty fun w a jerk.

FryDog62

Lit em’ up pretty good today.

That’s a pretty serious bag of bass! We’re there triplets caught together, or just three 5-10’s?

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Had an hour to fish after work. Chatter baits caught a few. Lost a huge dogfish on a DT-10. Thought I was feeling in a log until I saw it.

BrianF

That’s a pretty serious bag of bass! We’re there triplets caught together, or just three 5-10’s?

Purely coincidental Fry.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6210-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_7525-scaled.jpeg

Bass Pundit

Last night in the rain it was spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I spent about an hour an hour in Platte on my Fall juice only getting a couple of pike. I got 7 bass in Sullivan in about an hour and then it was dark. I caught a 3lber, biggest fish of the night, on a black spinnerbait and called it a night.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I got 7 bass in Sullivan

Bass Pundit – You seem to do OK on Platte and Sullivan. I took a look at recent DNR survey data on the lake. The Bass Data did not look real good for either. Your local knowledge must be a big factor. Normally the survey data is a good indicator, but every once in awhile I find a Gem of a lake that the Data appears way off. Keep hammering away at them !

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I feel like the data is only a small indicator. In many lakes, they don’t do the survey using gear that would sample bass well or not when bass are up shallow. There are a few lakes that I have gone to with terrible bass numbers and size in surveys and been absolute honey holes.

Bass Pundit

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bass Pundit wrote:</div>
    I got 7 bass in Sullivan

Bass Pundit – You seem to do OK on Platte and Sullivan. I took a look at recent DNR survey data on the lake. The Bass Data did not look real good for either. Your local knowledge must be a big factor. Normally the survey data is a good indicator, but every once in awhile I find a Gem of a lake that the Data appears way off. Keep hammering away at them !

Platte pretty much froze out last winter. Its bass population is in terrible shape right now. Basically whatever migrated in from Sullivan this Spring. It was calm tonight and the lake is very clear now so on my way back from my fishing trip tonight I got the spotlight out and ran the inside weedline for a good half of a mile shining for fish. I only saw one bass, 18 pike, 5 sunfish, and 7 crappies. I didn’t see a single shiner. which should be all over the place. I’ve spent the majority of my time fishing in Sullivan this year and have been pleasantly surprised with how good the fishing has been. Although, with the time spent I would have figured I should have caught a few 5lb fish. Sullivan used to be known for big bass in the rice, reeds, and docks. I’ve caught just an OK number of 4lbers.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

River is still kicking out smallies on the Ned rig. Not all whoppers. Still can’t believe that thing is that effective. I finally gave in. Good luck. It’s a lot colder and windier than yesterday

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.