Walleye Lake in Southern Mn

• JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

Want to make a trip to Mn to fish for some walleye.

I live in Des Moines,Iowa and want to take a trip to mn to catch some walleye which lake is good for walleye in southern Mn to fish for walleye dont know when but want to try sometime next month (August) Dont want a big lake but still big enough to catch some decent fish (boat is a lund explore)so i guess any lake that the boat will be safe in

Thanks

Joe

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Lake Washington by Mankato, Madison Lake and Tetonka between Elysian and Waterville are probably your best bets. These lakes get fished pretty hard and will be a little green by then but fish are still there to be caught. All lakes have decent landings and are nice lakes. If you are going to make a weekend out of it there is good camping or hotels in the area. Good Luck

JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

Forgot want a decent boat ramp that has docks by it and a motel close by i know you may have to drive a few miles but dont want to drive like 60 miles to the nearest motel or gas station

Thanks

Joe

superdave
    NE IA

Joe, if I was you I would head out to Waubay SD, a lot less pressure, and way more options for about the same drive. I know you guys could make it there from Des Moines in less than 6 hours. The only bad thing it the license is kinda spendy.

JKwildhunting
    somewhere lost in Iowa

Do you know how much they run?

Thanks

Joe

superdave
    NE IA

3 day I beleive is $32. 60 some for the whole year, you can buy them online and print them off. I can set you up with a cheap motel that is very close to all the lakes with a nice fish cleaning shack if your serious to. Shoot me an email and we’ll b.s. some.
    See ya
    Dave

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

August can also be a magical time on Waubay. I’m trying to plan a weekend out there for “work” and hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze in some fishing!!!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

There are a few options out there altough walleys in Southern Minnesota in August are pretty tough. Towards the end of the month you’ll start to see some action but not fast and furious.
    I would look to the Cannon chain of Lakes, or Madison, Washington, or German-Jefferson Lakes can be good. There is a resort on German called Beaver Dam that would be right on the lake.
    Good Luck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Lake Pepin is probably the best lake if catching fish is a top priority. Everts Resort on the north end of the lake and Camp Lacupolis on the south are the two resorts that come to mind.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Below is a link to Everts Resort that James memtioned. I would very heavily consider Lake Pepin/Pool 4 Mississippi River the place to go. Very good body of water to catch fish in.
    Thanks, Bill

Everts Resort

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

It would be hard to beat pool 4 its probaly the most consitent summer producer in the midwest

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.