rod/reel balancing question

• iowaeye

i know how to correctly balance a rod/reel and do so through many redundant tests of switching reels to match a rod. my question is how important is it when pitching light jigs when a lot the time the rod is nearly vertical (or close) some rods i feel that if you balance them correctly they tend to just feel heavier with the larger reel.

if i’m using (thanks to all you avid pushers to get me to this rod) a 69mlxf , would it be more appropriate to be using a 1000 size reel to make sure sensitivity isn’t reduced? or will it make the rod/reel feel akward and hindering the attention to the bite? i’ve just noticed a lot of 1000 reels weight around 6-7 oz while many 2500 size weigh 9+.

bare with me, i’ll figure this out. thanks.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Love the 1000’s on medium pitching/jigging rods.

get_hooked
    Dundee, Wi

I think 1000’s are perfect for ML’S….

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Dont over look the Pflueger Arbor 7430, they are great for pitching light weight jigs.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I prefer the 1500 size reels versus the 1000. To me the lighter reel on my Legend Tournaments makes the rod feel very tip heavy. The larger spool on the 1500 size reels will make for longer casts and less line problems. With a well balanced outfit it can do double duty as a vertical jigging rod.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

I prefer the 1500 size reels versus the 1000. To me the lighter reel on my Legend Tournaments makes the rod feel very tip heavy. The larger spool on the 1500 size reels will make for longer casts and less line problems. With a well balanced outfit it can do double duty as a vertical jigging rod.

Shimano makes a 1000, and then up to a 2500. There is no in between.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

Dont over look the Pflueger Arbor 7430, they are great for pitching light weight jigs.

X2!!!! Dean put me on to one of these awhile back. They are amazing for light jigs! Balance perfect on my 68MLXF legend tournament too.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Quote:

OOOPS ment 2500

iowaeye

Does anybody who has used the Sahara fd had problems with the line not retrieving on the bail roller or had the bail flip open on hooksets? Read a review about people having these issues. All i own are shimanos and ice never had a problem .

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OOOPS ment 2500

Not true! They may not make the 1500’s anymore, but they sure as heck made a pile of them a few years back and they do indeed work better on a MLXF St. Croix rod. (IMHO)
    I have at least six of these reels.
    Every couple years, Shimano does change their lineup and they may come back out with the 1500’s again in the near future. They were very popular.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Shimano Symetre 1500 reel

You can still buy a bunch of them on Ebay as well.

If you like rear drag reels, I believe you can still find 1500 series fairly easily. I haven’t seen a new front drag 1500 available in a while. At least in the Symetre.

musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

I switched all my pitching rods over to the Arbor after buying my first one, the other nice quality of the Arbor is that it comes with a second spool made for braided line which I always keep in the tackle box for the easy switch to pitching blades.

jsfishin
    Urbana, IA

The 1000s are lighter, and good for pitching. The preference
    for me is the 2500s just because I like more line capacity.
    These new arbor reels seem to be a good medium!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.