Heading to new waters! Musky fishing

• musky_ben
    Red Wing, MN

I am heading to Big McKenzie for opening weekend of musky fishing with a few buddies, we got a cabin to stay in for the weekend, was wondering if anyone has fished this and could give us some pointers, not looking for your hot spots but maybe just some areas to target. Any info is helpful. thanks!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not much help, but good fishing Ben!

Bring back some pictures!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

water is very clear
    weedlines to 15-17ft
    lots of humps with weeds on top
    good saddles with some rocks
    good bass and eyes muskies are FAT (well fed)
    stick with baitfish colors nothing bright
    bulldawgs and giant tubes worked good
    also grinding big heavy spinnerbaits in the deep weeds
    white/grey, silver,bass,walleye,perch colors
    hope this helps ya

john23
    St. Paul, MN

My family used to have a cabin there. Tough muskie lake overall, but there are some nice fish in there. I’d focus on the south end and the N/NW end of the lake. Don’t rule out suspended fish, either, even during the spring.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Not far from my cabin , Fished it several times for muskies not one of my favorite lakes. Spinner baits have worked in the past and a black Hawg wobbler has worked. my biggest 42 inches . and not to many others. good luck,. I will be on Yellow

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve fished it late in the fall the last couple years. We’ve had luck trolling and soaking suckers. There are awesome weeds all around the lake. We had most of our action from McKenzie Landing all the way around west point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.