I need help getting the right Prop

• walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

My boat came with a 2002 15 horsepower Mercury 4 stroke motor. The prop on the little guy is clearly not the right one as it doesn’t seat properly (although it gets the job done). What prop size/pitch do you recommend for this motor? It is ONLY used as a kicker motor, so I am looking for a good prop to keep the speed down.

Thanks,
    Justin

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What rig do you have and what is the approx weight of rig and gear?

I had a buddy of mine check his rig. He runs a Ranger 620VS and has merc 15hp. He has a 4 blade 8 pitch and loves it.

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

I have a 2025 Lund Pro V dual console with a 225 Opti. I am not sure of weight…. Heavy Best guess, and that’s all it is, around 3800 pounds. I hope I don’t sound stupid for guessing

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I looked up a chart on available props. My guess is the 4 blade 8 or maybe a 7 would be your best bet. The 7 would mean that you might need to give it a few more rpms, but could have a little more speed control.

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Thanks for the help. I was looking at the Solas High Thrust props. It sounds like they are the ticket. I found a white one for $110 and then a Black one with identical specs for $50 (both brand new). Anyone know the difference? The black one seems to be the obvious choice, but I want to make sure I am not shorting myself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.