Map Create

• Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Can anyone tell me about “Map Create”. I am such a novice with GPS. I am interested in the new Lowrance LMS 334c. Map Create used to be included in Lowrance GPS Units once upon a time. I don’t see it it mentioned anymore. Is this worthwhile? I’d like to be able to manage waypoints off line on my computer and learn how to upload and download.
    The other question is about the Lakemaster CD. Can you upload waypoints from Lakemaster ( computer ) to the GPS unit? thanks dave

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Dave, Mapcreate would be ideal for managing waypoints for the 334C. There are some nice features to Mapcreate but it does take a little time to learn how to use it. We have a couple of DVDs made by Doc Samson that may be helpful to you in learning how to run Mapcreate. You can also use the data card reader that comes with the Mapcreate pack to view electronics maps, like Navionics and Lakemaster maps on data cards.

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

wade, are you saying you can view LM and NAV chips on map create using the card reader?, or do you just mean use the reader and an emulator?.

IMO, i would save your money for when the new LM computer program comes out this spring. from what i understand it has a waypoint managing program and is much more functional for viewing electronic maps.

doc samson
    MN

You can share waypoints between LakeMaster and MapCreate and your Lowrance GPS. You can not view LakeMaster or Navionics maps on MapCreate. You can view LakeMaster map cards on the emulator using a card reader.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You can view Lakemaster and Navionics maps on a Lowrance data card reader by using a Lowrance product emulator. It’s not an “official” feature of the electronic maps but people do it. Navionics warns against it. If your card gets damaged in the process you are not covered by warranty. It also does not work on all LEI data card readers and does not seem to work with every product emulator either.

Navionics is going to release a new product this year, the NavPlanner. It offers the following:

*View Navionics charts on your PC
    *Load, create and save waypoints and routes from and to your compatible media cartridge
    *Access and print full data details of your routes and waypoints
    *Locate ports with Go-to-Port
    *Measure distances and bearing
    *Access tide & current, sun & moon rise data
    *Easily select full description of all chart objects with “Xplain”

This should solve the problem of viewing the maps on the PC. It should be a great tool for doing a little pre-fishing from home.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Very confused.

I have an I-Finder H2O, LakeMaster MN Chip, my own SD card reader, a 128 SD card, And I have the H2O and LMS 332 Emulators.

What do I need to view my LakeMaster MN chip on my PC if it can be done at all.

Do I need the Lowrance data card reader or can I just use my SD card reader.?

Thanks Pier.

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

try the 26 HD emulator, map create has nothing to do with viewing the chip info. yes you need to use the card reader.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

So using the Emulator and my SD card reader I can use my Lakemaster MN chip and view it’s contents on my PC or do I need the Lowrance data card reader?

Thanks Pier.

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

it should work with what you got, but it is alot of trial and error

doc samson
    MN

I use Lowrance card readers and I can view all of LakeMaster’s cards on my emulators. I have not used any other card readers. I had only one Navionics card that I could view. I have tried every Navionics I have and the rest won’t read. If you use the emulator you can create waypoints and transfer them to a blank card and load them to your GPS. I have used this to find new spots and drive right to them. This way you can find good spots with less time searching on the water.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I think the reason it gets so confusing is because it is not an official feature so there are no uniform standard procedures. I use an LEI (lowrance) data card reader from 2005. If your regular data card reader doesn’t do the trick, changing to an LEI card reader may help.

Mapcreate has nothing to do with viewing the Lakemaster or Navionics chips, but Mapcreate is a great tool for storing waypoints on your PC. Doc can tell you more about Mapcreate.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Thanks a million it’s starting to make sense now, it looks like I need the Lowrance reader mine does not seem to work.
    I need Mapcreate also, so if I want to play I gotta pay.

Thanks again.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Yep. The good thing is you can get Mapcreate, the LEI card reader, and a blank data card as a package for about a hundred bucks. We’ve got the package in stock. If you want to order one go ahead and use the lower special price ($99.99):

Mapcreate Package

If you don’t like that paypal shopping cart and still want to order with us you can use this order form.

Otherwise, Cabelas and other major retailers carry the package as well.

bigshooter
    Rogers, Minnesota

i finally got it to work, loading, saving, and reading the LM chip. i still had to find an emulator that worked doing all three. the lcx – 19 worked for me. i tried using the lei reader for all of it and it seemed to work better than the other card reader i have(not lowrance). thanks for the help guys

Quote:

This way you can find good spots with less time searching on the water.

exactly what i was trying to do. i’ve been at this for 2 weeks and now it works

– josh

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

We have a success story! Thanks for letting us know. Have fun with it!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

I use Lowrance card readers and I can view all of LakeMaster’s cards on my emulators. I have not used any other card readers. I had only one Navionics card that I could view. I have tried every Navionics I have and the rest won’t read. If you use the emulator you can create waypoints and transfer them to a blank card and load them to your GPS. I have used this to find new spots and drive right to them. This way you can find good spots with less time searching on the water.

Doc, is the LEI card reader the equivalent of the Lowrance card reader? I have both the LEI MMC/SD card reader and the LEI 2.0 MMC/SD card reader and wonder if I should be able perform the functions you mentioned above with these readers.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Doc, is the LEI card reader the equivalent of the Lowrance card reader? I have both the LEI MMC/SD card reader and the LEI 2.0 MMC/SD card reader and wonder if I should be able perform the functions you mentioned above with these readers.

I would imagine they are the pretty much the same other then the Newer one is USB 2.0 capable.

Down Load the Emulator and give it a Try……..

doc samson
    MN

The LEI is the same as the Lowrance card reader. The LEI 2.0 is different but I am not sure what is different. The 2.0 does not stand for USB 2.0 as it is still a 1.1 USB card reader.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

What reader would mine be ? All it has on it is –LEI mmc/sd . No numbers. Will it work on the emulators ? Can I use the Navionics hotspots Gold chip on the emulator for the 332c ?

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

James, All you can do is try. Just remember it’s not an official feature of the mapping chip or the card reader. Make sure you don’t try to save any data to your chip. It should have a lock on it to protect you, but it is done “at your own risk” as they say.

The release of the NavPlanner should resolve this issue for Navionics users. It should be available this spring.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

My chip does not have a lock on it . It did not evan have the name on it. It was or is just a 16 md chip . I had to label it to identify it . Still works great so don’t think I will take a chance . Thank You.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.