Underwater Camera ideas or suggestions ??

• Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

HI ALL< Am thinking about adding an underwater camera to my fishing related tools. I know with the new advances in the last year, infrared, temps, direction indicators, screens. Would you have any suggestions on make and models of units you have used of seen that are a good choice. thanks Jack.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jack,

You can spend just about as much as you want on one now days. The new Aqua Views have a nice clear picture and the temperature/direction sensor built in. It retails for around $500.00. It gives you both types of LED’s for night vision. You can also get the original Aqua for $299.00 + battery($20.00). Right now there is a promo on the Z60, buy one, get a free 35mm underwater camera. I don’t know how good the camera is, but they claim it’s a $40.00 value.

There is also the OVS system in the $350.00 price range, offers mulitcolored LED’s. This unit has a slightly larger footprint, similar to the Vexilar Pro pack in size. It has a bigger screen also. I know if I was buying a camera, this is the one I would buy.

The night vision on all the cameras I’ve used is not so great. The extra costs for this functionality isn’t worth it in my opinion, unless you plan to use it in gin clear lakes. The clearest lake I’ve been on is Mille Lacs, the best I’ve gotten is about 4 feet. I could only imagine on dirty water like the river that your visibility would be 1 foot.

I don’t really care what the temp is, and I’ve always been able to figure out the direction of the camera by my lure. Of course I’ve only used them during ice season. The direction piece may be nice for open water use. I do have one knock on Aqua View, I’ve seen many returned for leaking cameras. Make sure you get a current year model if you buy one, I’m told they have that issue fixed. If I can help any other ways, let me know.

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

I bought a OVS camera last year about this time of year. Works great used in poll 4 in 40 feet of water last spring and you can see everything on the bottom.Ithink it has alot more features than other brands.

Jigmaster

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Jack, I have the Aqua Vu MC2. ($399). I bought one in July and used it about 3 times over the summer. A couple weeks ago I used it on the river and it worked for about 5 minutes and the screen started “rolling” like a out of tune TV. I brought it back to Gander Mt. in Bloomington and they replaced it. Treated me very good! I have used it for about 4-5 hours and it has worked great on the river. I have no problem in the dark. In fact, mine works better in the dark than in the daytime. The picture is brighter and more “sharp” in the dark vs the daytime. It has the infra-red with light. I have had a couple times though with the new one where the screen has lines across it when I turn it on. I have to play with the camera line connection to the camera. Not sure what’s going on, but hopefully it keeps working. The temp sensor is nice, it’s surprising how much difference there is in water temp at various locations around the dam here on pool 4. I was gonna upgrade to get the directional cam, but couldn’t justify an extra $100 just to know what direction I am looking. in the river you’re almost always gonna know what way you’re looking in the current. I can see where it might be nice on a lake. However, you can’t really fish while viewing the cam in open water. All you’re looking for is if there is fish there and what kind. Once you see them, it doesn’t matter if they’re to the north or south, just that they’re there. I haven’t seen the other brands, but I am very happy with the clarity of the picture in the river with mine. Next time you’re down to the resort, we’ll have to go out and you can look at mine day/night and see what you think. Talk to ya later.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks Waterfowler, Jigmaster and Steve for the good replies, it is helpful to know what to look for and to know what features you really don’t need. Jack.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Jack –
    I have the OVS400 and I really enjoy it. It has made the ice fishing experience a real gas. It is amazing what goes on down there that we don’t realize. I really like the functionality of the OVS400 but if I had it to do over again I would upgrade myself to the OVS500. It has a camera adjustment feature right on the video monitor that will move the camera a full 360 degrees. You can put it in a hole several feet away and move the camera from inside your house. I would love to have that feature – for me it would be worth the extra money. I was too cheap when I bought the camera and now I want that additional feature. I am going to the ice fishing show this afternoon specifically to see if anyone is offering a remote camera adjustment gizmo. I recommend getting the camera – it is worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.