The New Improved Big Buddy Heater??

• fishandski
    Lakeville

Has anybody purchased the Big Buddy (up to 18,000BTU) since the recall? I am looking for a heater to heat my 24 foot RV during deer season. I am trying to decide which of the following 2 heaters to buy. The Mr Heater Big Buddy or a wall mounted ventless style (both are basically the same thing, Buddy is portable, other is not). I worry about the reliability of the Mr Heater, but like the fact that it is portable.

Which one should I buy?

fishandski

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve got a big buddy from last year. The recall hasn’t been an issue for me, though I know I should get a new switch to avoid a problem. In any case, I love the thing. I use it in my portable (3 person) and permanent shacks (8 X 16 or so) and it does a great job in both. I highly recommend it. Also, it’s worth noting that the regular-size buddy heater didn’t produce enough heat to work in my portable.

birddog
    Mn.

You might want to return that heater, they’ll give you full credit as it’s a safety issue. I had the big buddy worked great, I knew they recalled them but it worked fine till it exploded into a fire ball and took some hair off my face! Really not something to mess with. I like the design and output of the heater. I’ll buy another when I know they’re safe.

BIRDDOG

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I agree never had a problem with mine but I really did not want to get light up either, returned it and am waiting to get a new one.

Ron

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I really did not want to get light up either,

That is not what you said last night Ron Thanks agian for the help! Except for the next time we get together it has to be for ing, killing stuff, or fishing!

clintm
    mazeppa mn

Was the recall only on the Big Buddy or is the original one covered too. I have been having problems with the valve on mine. It doesn’t always let enough fuel out to stay lit.
    thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.