Mounting a trasducer to a trolling motor?

• blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I need to put a trasducer on my trolling motor. (minnkota 55 power drive) Just doesn’t work running the bow mount and looking for the depth in the back of the boat. I have an idea of how to do it, just wondering if any of you guys have some tips or pictures of how you did it. Thanks much!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Personally I was going to mount a transducer to my trolling motor, I might hold off, and try on of the swivel bases for my graph instead for now, a bit cheaper than a new transducer, also since I have seen some sucess with mounting the transducer, and some failures. I’m a bit leary, I am going to try it out with my flasher, but I don’t have too high of hopes yet.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have some pictures I can put up later today.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You can buy a bracket and mount for your model fishfinder. Check with the manufacturer. Jon Jordan has some great pics. You can also CLICK THIS LINK and go to page 2 of this thread to see some pics Derek posted a while back. Good luck!

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Thanks Jolly! and looking forward to the pictures Jon. Jolly, I looked back at the post and the picture, and that was how I figured I would have to do it. Should have just paid the extra when I bought the bow mount and got the built in transducer, but didn’t think it would be that big of a pain to just look back at the depth finder in the back of the boat. Boy was I wrong. And if I have anyone else fishing in the boat forget it, it’s just a pain.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Depending on what fishfinder you have, getting a trolling motor mount kit should only run 10-20 bucks…

Good luck!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here are the pix.

Start at the transducer. I use a large metal hose clamp to attach the transducer to the motor head.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Next, tightly run the cable over the motor and attach to the base of the motor head with a couple of wire ties. Note. I wrap the shaft with black electrical tape so there is no slipage.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Next, run the cable though the handle.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a 60 inch shaft and leave approx. 11 inches of slack cord at the middle of the shaft.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

At the top end, I use 2 more wire ties backed up with a few wraps of electrical tape. I also would recommend the RAM stabilizer shown here.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

One more shot from another angle.

Note. If you have a shorter shaft, you may need to play around with the amount of cord slack. This set up has held up well over 4 seasons and I have not pinched a cord yet. Cord slack is perfect when the motor can turn a little over 180 degrees from straight ahead.

Good Luck.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Nice Demo Jon!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Yup, great pictures Jon! That’s the way I just mounted mine too. God Bless the person that invented black Electrical tape and tie wraps!! My Dad’s a retired Telephone Man, and I think he can fix anything with those 2 things.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Thanks a ton Jon! Thanks to everyone!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Definitely a good post to add to my “favorite threads.” Kudos to you Jon for taking the time to lay it out so clearly.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Bump to the top.

Burk

that looks like about the easiest way to get the job done. Thanks for pulling that back up Jon.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I did mine basically the same way, and I’ve given up and taken it off, it kept getting tangled on shaft, hopefully one of these days minnkota decides to have a marcum compatable transducer in the motors.

MTNet
    Champlin

Thanks, this is perfect! Just what I’ve been looking for. I installed a T. Motor mount transducer on my MinnKota. I used it once, and the cord nestled nicely in the pinch point. I spent the rest of the time being careful to avoid this.

Any other methods of stabilizing the motor besides the RAM mount?

thor
    Hudson WI

I actually did mine a bit different, cut transducer cable, opened head of power drive, drilled hole in top section of motor, fed down thru, spliced wires at top mounted head and this was a HUGE gamble but now have done it for several friends, and now no wires to fight with. I can email pics if anyone is curious.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Back to the top for anyone who might have been digging for this timeless bit of info…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m glad I found this It’s on the agenda for the spring.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now for the real question, can I use the same technique on a Terrova?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

I have a minnkota powerdrive V2 55. i mounted a transducer on mine this weekend, and this worked for me, except i couldn’t wrap the wire at the base because the stow/lock clamp goes all the way flush to the motor drive head. so, i have the cable dangling and am going to have to wrap it in something, because it hits the prop from time to time. there is not enough slack to where it could get tangled in the prop and pulled, but the prop will sometimes just “tick” against the cable, and i don’t want it to eventually wear a hole in it.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Ralph, you didn’t get Universal Sonar on your terrova?

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

I bought a used trolling motor that, by the looks of it, has a transducer already attached the the motor head. All the wires were cut to include the transducer cable. How would you reconnect the transducer cable if you cut it? I’m an electronics tech by trade so I’m sure I could figure it out, but I would think that cutting the transducer cabel would be the LAST thing you’d want to do.. I’ve got some work to do on my boat here shortly, glad I ran across this post!!!

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

Just thought I would bump this a bit to see if anyone can address the cutting of the transducer cable issue…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The transducer cable is just shielded rf cable, just like any antenna cable. The problem is getting it sealed up after fixing the splice. If water gets in there, stuff starts blowing. Also, never shorten or lenghten the cable. The unit is clibrated for a certain lenght. If changed, your depth readings will be off.

My personal experience. Those fixes never last. Everone ends up buying a new transducer/cable. Good luck.

-J.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.