Zip Lures

• bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

Ok yesterday I saw an add on t.v. on Zip Lures. They made it sound like they are the greatist lure on earth I’m courious has any one tried these super lures and do they work that good here’s the link.http://www.clickshopping.com/ziplure.htm To me they look like a spinnoff of the heddon sonar lure which I know is used quite a bit

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nate has used them and didn’t like them nearly as well as the Heddon Sonor style lure. I know the Heddon style sonors work well. Used them years ago and have recently used them again the past couple years. Hooked On Fishing has the Heddon style at a decent price and has many colors.
    Thanks, Bill

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

They are not as fishable as a Sonar or Cicada. I tried them several times the past couple weeks and they kept fouling up no matter how I rigged em. I’ll sell a few…cheap.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

GLAD i DIDN’T BUY ANY I NEW IT HAD TO BE A LINE OF POO POO

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I am going to have to strongly disagree with the above comments.
    I have used both the Sonar and the Zips. Both work very well! The one lure that I just can not seem to catch anything consistently on is the Cicada. I will gladly trade all my Cicada’s for all of your Zips!
    The Zips will produce a better wobble with less of a pull. Some days on Lake Wiscosin, the Zips far out produce the Sonars. On other days, the Sonar is better.
    I have also had excellent success with Zips on both the Mississippi and the Wisconsin rivers. Several times, these were the only lures that would catch fish for me on that particular day.
    The first thing I do with the Zips is to remove the split ring. Just use a duolock snap instead.
    Zips will foul up a slight bit more than a Sonar. But if you fish them correctly, they not only do not foul very much.
    To fish them correctly, do not allow the Zip to fall back to the bottom on a slack line. This will not only cause it to foul up more often, but it will also cost you many missed fish as they almost always tend to hit it on the drop. Lower the rod tip at the same rate that the Zip falls keeping the line just tight enough to feel a hit.
    I realize that many of you already know how to fish these lure correctly, but some people may not.
    To size this up completely, let me ask you this question:
    How many different style jigs to you carry?
    Well Zips and Sonars are very similar to carrying all those different styles of jigs. Some days your going to use the Zips because they work far better on that day. On other days, the Sonar will be the ticket.
    JWB

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks for the tips JWB. I guess I’ll give em another try using some of your methods before I give em away. I tried the spit ring and snap/swivel hook up and fouled a lot. I’ll try the snap alone this Sat on the Menominee River.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

If you ever see a White bass feeding frenzy, Sometimes throwing Zips at the boils will produce a whole stringer full of them. I keep a few zips in my boat for just such an occaission at dusk or dawn.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.