Marcum Camera Choice

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been looking at getting a new underwater camera, and I’m definitely going to buy a marcum. Any thoughts on the 600 series B&W vs. the 600 series color? Is the 800 series color camera worth the extra $$? I’m not convinced that the color is worth the extra money, let alone the 800 series camera, but I’d sure like to get more information from those in the know. Thanks!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have an 825, and I love the extra viewing space when I compare it to a 625. For my own personal preference, if I had to buy another MarCum camera, my money would go towards the 825SD.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I did see it, Jon, thanks. Long story short, unless James wants to take American Express gift cards and write me a receipt for an insurance reimbursement, I’m going to have to get it at a retailer.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Never hurts to ask!

-J.

tenchi

After seeing the actual cameras side by side..I too paid the extra …did not regret. U should see it in person to really decide on which one to get…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

So far I haven’t met one person that bought a 8″ MarCum that’s said I wish I would have bought a smaller B&W camera.

Side by side in the river, the color camera seems to pick up more light and give a better picture (more so in deeper water).

As for size, it’s a personal and pocket book preference. To that I would add, if you’re going to fish with the camera right in front of you on the ice or in a portable, there’s no issue with going to a 6. If you’re going to be a distance from the screen, just like TV’s larger is better.

Quote:

U should see it in person to really decide on which one to get

Great advice! Forget about the cost for a moment and compare, then factor in the price and make your decision.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

I bought and picked up James’ 825SD Marcum last week after his post. It should almost be illegal to use. Without much if any instruction I unpacked, charged the battery, and hit the water twice this weekend with it. I cut a bunch of holes and using the camera picked the hole that the camera showed the most fish. And turning the camera to point down at my bait has already improved my catch rate. Although you can do all this and more with the B&W, I would go with the color if the pocket book allows. With this camera I feel i will be able to step up to a higher level of fishing. I was even laughing at some of the antics I saw in just 2 sessions. I can’t wait to get out again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.